ubuntu 5.10 install

hmmm... when I burned the DVD which includes the normal ubuntu install, and also a live CD, k3b said something about failing md5 sum....

didn't know if the md5 sum was applicable to the DVD with both things on it...

when I reinstall ubuntu, I'll do the self-checker as you suggested...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, sounds like a bad burn or corrupted download.

Good point though it will also say fail if you staret burning before the check is finished.

I would recheck it and if it fails you need to get another copy... I tend to leave the live CD and install CD's as seperate though because this happened repeatedly to me on the downloads ..

yeah, when I noticed the k3b md5 error, I just thought it was cuz I sometimes start burning discs right away, before the check is finished...

I just booted with it again, selected Check Disk Integrity (on the very first menu), and it FAILED. It said the "parted" portion on the disc was bad.

I'll d/l just the CD tonight, and re-burn it. I know the "live" option of the bad DVD works OK.

yeah, when I noticed the k3b md5 error, I just thought it was cuz I sometimes start burning discs right away, before the check is finished...

I just booted with it again, selected Check Disk Integrity (on the very first menu), and it FAILED.  It said the "parted" portion on the disc was bad.

I'll d/l just the CD tonight, and re-burn it.  I know the "live" option of the bad DVD works OK.

Exactly what I did :D

and I mean exactly down to thinking oops must have just started burning before it finished ....

then I had problem with the DVD dload... and just thought (at the end of my tether) one last go and Im just going to go for the CD ...

p.s.

IMHO Ubuntu and Kubuntu are not equal...

I find the config tools and bug testing in Kubuntu a bit lacking compared to Ubuntu but Im a KDE guy ....

I think that if you have a fast connection installing Ubuhtu then kubuntu (as a package with lots of deps) is better else you miss some tools....

a couple days ago when I d/l ubuntu, I was meaning to d/l kubuntu... didn't realize until it was already done... oh well. Personally, I'm much more used to gnome (due to most of my experience being on the FC distros). Main thing I don't like about gnome is there not being a "copy or move?" option when you drag & drop files. Oh yeah, and the CD player is broke.

This is the first time I burned a distro onto a DVD - I just used k3b and said "burn the image...". Or is there some weird options you are supposed to select...? Plus, I've burned lots of distros onto CDs and never had a bad md5 before...

Can't wait to get home from work and d/l & burn the CD this time. Too bad I have to go to work everyday... it gets in the way sometimes...!

Erm so far as I know it should be the same process for a DVD, I think its the size of the dload causes the probs .. anyway I find dloading Ubuntu and then use synaptic to install kubuntu will give a better set of tools and you can choose Gnome or KDE as you prefer :D

If I get a working install of ubuntu, I will need to learn how the pkg mgmt works. I know a little about synaptic but not much. Isn't there a gui software management/installer also? I mean, something like browsing installable s/w, and then picking what you want ?

Mostly what I have used in the past has been apt, then yum... Haven't used urpmi much, but on my current install of mandriva 2006 I have used it a bit, and I like it so far...

apt is like urpmi on steroids.

synaptic is like gurpmi ...

the best thing is the packages are actualy thought out and written mainly by real developers (debian) in the first instance before they are rebadged Ubuntu. This means that the packages are much better designed than mandriva as far as deps go with equivalents, recommended and suggested packages as well as straight deps. For instance (from another thread) Debian splits of the gecko rendering engine so you don't need to install firewfox or mozilla but can install either. both or none and all satisfy the dep for gecko because it will be selected seperately if neither mozilla or firefox are selected.

This is just one example: you will find where Mandriva has crazy deps trees that Debian doesn't because the format allows alternatives whereas RPM does not.

The hard bit of synaptic is ....

you have so many packages and they are not classified as well as Mandriva.

also they are split up far more finely and partly duplicated (gecko is an example)

this means that the distro is far superior overall but it introduces a bewildering amount of packages which makes it initially confusing.

edits:

In other words the technically better IMHO way of spiting the packages up and making the deps flexible results in lots of quasi packages and these themself necessitate 'fake' packages that just contain a set of deps... not actual packages. (like mplayer ) where the package is a stub and fetches the seperate parts. Because there are just so many packages many of which do nothig by thermself it can be more confusing than Mandriva's package list.

Edited by Gowator

I haven't used mandriva enough to notice the dep diffs in the pkg mgr. Mostly I just installed mandriva, installed a couple of multimedia thingies, and that's it.

Last night I d/l'd and burned the ubuntu install CD, and booted with it just to check the integrity. It passed. So I'm gonna install it in a couple days. I decided to burn off alot of my 48GB of obscure & rare music files - to get them safely on CD. Just in case of a screwed-up install.

that's been a big...long running issue

many threads on the ubuntu forum about that

for most with nvidia, it seems to be

Option  "RenderAccel"  "true"

in xorg.conf. Comment it out or remove it.

Other than the above I had problems but it seemed to be with plug-ins but now it is completely stable on 1.07.