ubuntu 5.10 install

I'm installing ubuntu 5.10 over my mandriva install. It is now at the partitioning screens. Here is what it shows:

#1 primary 106.9MB ext3 /media/hda1

#2 primary 16.8GB ext3 /

#5 logical 182.6GB ext3 /home

#3 primary 534.6MB swap swap

I selected the #2 partition and told it to use for root files, format it and mount as /.

I selected the #5 partition and told it that this was my /home partition and not to format it (keep existing data).

I don't know what the #1 partition is, do I leave it as shown?

The #2 and #5 shown above are after my changes. When I first told it to leave everything as is, it told me that it at least needs a "/" mount for the root filesystem. So I marked the 16.8 partition as such.

I just want to keep my mandriva existing /home files safe. I did backup my non-music files, but I don't want to backup 48GB of mp3 files. Want to be sure they are still there after installing ubuntu.

thanks for any pointers

Edited by null

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is okay so far. The hda1 partition looks like a partition you might have set up once for /boot (Boot partitions are usually around 100 or 200 MB big). As you have that partition there already, use/mount it for /boot. It will make your system even more safe.

hmm... won't install

here's what it says:

Base System Install Error

The debootstrap program exited with an error (return value 1)

check /target/var/log/bootstrap.log for details

In my install experience, RH9, all four FC distros, and mandriva 2006, none has ever bombed out during install.... :unsure:

I rebooted out of the ubuntu installer, stuck in my mandriva DVD, and reinstalled mandriva. Installed fine, no problems. Guess I'll give mandriva another go.

btw - i googled the ubuntu problem I had during install, and found out alot of other people were posting the same problem... hmmm....

that was my first thought. oh well, next time, I'll install without it and just do / and /home.

my 3rd mandriva install is already pissing me off again...ha ! Now it doesn't know what an audio CD is... (I just started a thread under Software)

thanks!

I rebooted out of the ubuntu installer, stuck in my mandriva DVD, and reinstalled mandriva.  Installed fine, no problems.  Guess I'll give mandriva another go.

btw - i googled the ubuntu problem I had during install, and found out alot of other people were posting the same problem...  hmmm....

Seriously dude ... I'd try at least sticking with stuff a bit longer I guess bvc is probably right and you could have fixed it easily (though I understand you don't have internet access while installing perhaps a live CD might help?)

Its a funny thing but the more hassle a distro is during install often makes it more stable after ...

probably because it depends less on autodetection and it forces you to do stuff right (??) but stuff like Debian, gentoo and slackware with what are regarded as non noobie installs often turn out to be the most stable distro... (just my 2c)

I honestly think you should try Ubuntu out if only because Mandriva 2006 might piss you off less later or it will be a 3rd release etc. I remember 10.0 and 10.1 and most people 10.0 worked first time 10.1 didn't and visa versa (or it could be a different release altogether but I remember Aussie John finding lots of hardware that previously worked faultlessly took a lot of tweaking in the newer version whereas my nforce chipset worked properly for the first time)

There is a guy on the Ubuntu forums in exactly the same position wanting to try Mandriva btw!!

maybe it had to do with the /boot partition? ...which is useles...or should I say, not at all necessary or beneficial.

That could well be that the /boot casues the trouble. It is unlogical, why this very same /boot partition might create a problem on some systems and not on others. I always use an extra /boot partition and never had troubles with it, not in Ubuntu, not in Fedora or Slackware or Mandy or Yoper... weird...

PS: I won't argue with you over the question if /boot is necessary or unnecessary. :) I simply see some benefits using it. (e.g. if your / bombs out you can still access your grub and Kernel and try to fix things).

. I'd try at least sticking with stuff a bit longer

yep, I intend to try ubuntu again, I just wanted to get out of the install screens, and get a working system again. I'll find out more on ubuntu installs this time - before installing again. I'll try a reinstall again in a day or two. I'm not mad about ubuntu, I'm sure its a great distro, I was pretty sure it was what I did during partitioning. Partitioning is a weakness of mine, but every time I install or reinstall something, I learn something more.

The "not playing audio CDs" in mandriva is a gnome problem, not a mandriva problem, at least according to the thread in Software - so nothing to get ticked off about mandriva there I guess.

Edited by null

Try and get yourself a decent live CD and it can save a lot of headache if you do botch an install ....especially if you only have one PC .. but even making a list of errors so you can use the liveCD to mount the filesystem and copy the errors is a big boost, especially if X isn't working or something after an install.

I think its always good to try different distro's and on different bases (like a source based a RPM based and a deb based) because you often learn new approaches. I find Ubuntu pretty good but the forum is not so good as this one for REAL problems.

gowator: The ubuntu 5.10 I d/l was the DVD version, which has the normal distro install, as well as the bootable Live CD (you select which you want at the boot prompt). The other day I was using the Live option just to check out what ubuntu "looked like". It worked fine.

I know that that was another option, plus my other box (win2k) is yet another option - so no real worries for a screw-up during install... ha ha. I worry anyway - its just my nature...!

edit: as I mentioned before, the Other Linux Distros is my favorite forum on mandrivausers.org. I think the "best" (for me) distros that I have any experience with were the various FC distros - I used FC3 for quite a while with almost NO minor troubles at all. The only help I had to come here for during FC3 was for some more complicated stuff - like installing Java, or installing Eclipse... All the routine, normal stuff always worked great with FC3 - and if I goofed anything up, it was pretty easy to fix (and there's lots of good FC help all over the web).

I just want some more experience with some other popular distros, so I'm trying both mandriva and ubuntu.

Edited by null

gowator:  The ubuntu 5.10 I d/l was the DVD version, which has the normal distro install, as well as the bootable Live CD (you select which you want at the boot prompt).  The other day I was using the Live option just to check out what ubuntu "looked like".  It worked fine.

I know that that was another option, plus my other box (win2k) is yet another option - so no real worries for a screw-up during install... ha ha.  I worry anyway - its just my nature...

If you have valuable stuff in your /home then better to worry before you loose it than after :D

Just as a precaution, you should check the MD5sum for the Ubuntu disc. I was having the same problem when I was installing an Ubuntu server a while back. Turned out that my CD was FUBAR.

BTW, the Ubuntu disc comes with an automatic self-checker that you can access from the Ubuntu Install Menu. I foget where, but you just select "back" from any of the install screens.

Maybe that will help...

Nate