KDE Desktop doesn't fully appear [Solved]

MrMorden

I recently reinstalled my drivers because I upgraded to a GeForce 6800. My desktop had been set to 800x600, so I told it to go back to 1280x1024. When I did so, it gives me more desktop space, but the extra space appears off the edge of the screen! To see my entire desktop, I need to move the cursor to the edge of the screen so it scrolls.

In my attempts to fix this problem, I searched google.com/linux for

Desktop does not all appear on screen

Desktop doesn't all appear on screen

I also tried rebooting, and I also tried reinstalling the drivers and let it run that X configuration utility that comes with the NForce drivers.

Thank you,

MrMorden

Edited by MrMorden

...and I managed to make it worse.

In further attempts to find a solution, I opened up MCC, went to "configure your monitor," and changed it to a 1280x1024, 60 Hz (I have an LCD monitor, so I didn't think the refresh rate would matter) Now X won't come up at all, and I had to reboot back into Windows to make this post. I tried reinstalling the drivers again and let it run that X configuration utility, and the Nvidia splash screen comes up before dropping me to a command line. Help!

Thanks again,

MrMorden

From what you said in the first post the problem was simply that you had a virtual screen (larger than the resolution) so it scrolls sideways. Its not particulary useful and seems to be activated somehow ....

The easy fix is to look up the correct modes for your monitor and just putitng them directly into the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 and replacing whatever you have got.

Im not sure which config utility you were using .. can you be more specific?

From what you said in the first post the problem was simply that you had a virtual screen (larger than the resolution) so it scrolls sideways.  Its not particulary useful and seems to be activated somehow ....

The easy fix is to look up the correct modes for your monitor and just putitng them directly into the xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 and replacing whatever you have got. 

Im not sure which config utility you were using .. can you be more specific?

I was using the MCC "configure your monitor."

Edit: clarification

Edited by MrMorden