Mandrake Linux Forum

Guest c_m_f

jus a quick question here, who believes that Mandrake should do one of two things for its non club members?

1. set up an easy to use forum like using phpBB or ikonboard or something better, much like the gentoo forum, because the forums on teh mandrake site are so shitty!

2. incorporate this site into itself and promote it, because the problemn i have with mandrake is if i have a prob heres is my second stop after google and the prob with here is that there arent a vast amount of active members.

this all spurns from a jealousy of the gentoo forums because they just seem so vast and active and mandrake in my opimnion would benefit vastly!

anyway any ideas, opinions?

i believe the reason you will find more activity in the gentoo forums is because of the type of distro that is. where as mandrake is a more easy to use disto, it doesn't have as many active "knowledgeable" users as a distro that takes a bit of knowledge just to set up (i just spent the last couple hours attempting a gentoo install-ran into a problem and just didn't feel like finishing it up right now-my /etc/make.conf file got skewed when i attempted to use mirrorselect).

i think thats why you find less activity on this board. but there is a solid base of people who are constantly here and doing what they can, so let's not forget about them :)

There have been some discussions in the past concerning part of this issue. Mandrake wants everyone to pay money to join the club. They will only passively support a sight like this, e.g. using the logo. If you are really serious, Mandrake believes you should pay money. This sight is excellent, given the time and effort many people put in here render no financial reward. (Although the post count always goes up!)

yeah i agree on this fron, and overlooked the distro user base issue, but it still would be nice to have, a centralised place for mandrake users, ALL of them :), well those that can get here

c_m_f, mandrake had a forum long time before the gentoo's forum was created, but due to mandrakesoft's passivity that forum died, and thanks to some of their users (among whom I'm not included) this great forum was born as a substitute. So:

1. Is here.

2. They had the chance, but the didn't want to do it.

The problem is that this forum never will be The MandrakeUser Forum, but that's mandrakesoft's fault

HTH :)

This site was formed only six months ago, nearly 1100 members in six months ? 8) We have only just got an ftp site, and only just started to get linked from other Linux sites.

I think we have done well.

Oh, BTW, many of the posts on this board, would never make it onto the mdk club, its too heavily moderated :wink:

well i wasnt aware about the six mont thing, but 1110 users in 6 months is brilliant, suppose one day maybe this may unoffically become the place to come for support and chit chat, associated with mdk!

It will be a frosty day in hell when Mandrakesoft approaches the founders, moderators and senior members with a proposal to affiliate in any way beyond what we have now other than making us an official support board and even that might well be rejected. The key principle in our growth has been independence from Mandrakesoft where are forums are open allowing criticism where our members feel it is justified. Our moderators have been extremely judicious and only one member has been banned (for harrassment of another member) since we established this site. We have grown to offer a range of services more tightly integrated making access for our members easier and we would hope, more fulfilling than even the Club.

I believe that you need to look at the nature of the Mandrake community. On every major IRC server, there is at least one Mandrake group including ours. There is an expert mailing list, a cooker mailing list and a newbie mailing list. There is one of the most active Linux newsgroups on Usenet, alt.os.linux.mandrake, averaging 200-500 posts per day. And of course there is the Club. Ever since I started with 7.0, these communities have their own atmosphere and commitment from members and with the exception of the Club, there has been little crossover. The predecessors to this board had the advantage of a direct link from mandrakeuser.org. We have a link graciously provided by the Mandrake Club and we link back. We are not growing as fast because of the availability of so many alternatives for users.

As far as the forum is concerned, IMHO, they have made a mess of integrating it into the Club. They need someone with a vision to reorganize and redecorate their entire site. Denis Havlik is one small voice in what happens there and I suspect spends much of his day with tape over his mouth. Maybe the new CEO will get to the Web presence issue but it is hardly at the top of their priorities at the moment. Version 9.1 is a watershed for Mandrakesoft. If they deliver another flawed product without adequate marketing and retail distribution, they are history.

And for things here, we will keep on keep on soldiering on making a better site for those who do come here.

Counterspy

1. set up an easy to use forum like using phpBB or ikonboard or something better, much like the gentoo forum, because the forums on teh mandrake site are so shitty!

I've ask a couples of questions on the Gentoo forum since about a month. You can ask questions there if you want you know... linux is linux. All linux specific questions (like drivers for instance) can be answered anywere... here, or gentoo.org or anywhere else. However, from my experience, you'll never get as friendly answer as here ;-)

MOttS

yeah ive just spectated on the gentoo forums, mainly slicker stuff, but there seems to be quite an elitist attitude there as if "we compiled and use portage so where the supreme race in the universe" i mean dont get me wrong, not everyone is like that, its just when you stumble across people who seem that it way its a bit off putitng!

and thanks to some of their users (among whom I'm not included) this great forum was born as a substitute.

thats crap !!! if it wasn't for the users that showed interest in this forum, it would naver have even started.

Sure there are few people that put alot of time in at the beginning, and some people that continue to put a lot of time in (read: anon, cannonfodder :-) )

but without visitors, this site is just a waste of internet space like many other sites.

thats my point of view, from someone who has put a lot of time in, and appreciates seeing the effort "pay off" :-)