3COM USB Wireless Adaptor 3CRUSB10075

Guest lufc

Hi,

OK.. FOA I'm a total Linux Newbie. Never used it before.

OK.. I tried Mandriva 2006 with a Virtual Machine under Windows Xp and it worked and looked fine.

My 3Com USB Adaptor was routed via VM's own spoofer I think.

OK.. now I try to install the distro on my Packard Bell P4 Laptop.

After a few errors finding the correct CD (Strange as I'm using the DVD) it installed.

But no internet.

I looked at the config and found that my Wirless adaptor had been detected as a Scanner !!!!

So.. I try this..

1) Mandriva Linux Control centre - Set up a new network - Wireless - Manually Load a Driver

- All the drivers seem to be for Cards. Doesn't Mandriva Support USB Adaptors?

- Anyway - There is no driver for my 3Com 3CRUSB10075. I try a few others .. the one I see mentioned is the ZD1201. I click on it.. a window flashes (can't read it) and I'm back to the same screen. I dunno if its installed anything.

2) - The same but I choose USE A WINDOWS DRIVER (with ndiswrapper)

- Install a new driver

- Click on my driver but get "UNABLE TO FIND the ndiswrapper interface"

OK.. that's the limit of my ability in Linux.

I have no idea what to do now..

Everything works fine on eth0 when I plug in an ethernet cable.. but I can't get this bloody wireless adaptor to work.. I mean 3Com is a major player!! These things come as standard now from ISPs

Surely Linux supports them!!

Totally lost!!

Help

Edited by lufc

• 1 year later...
Guest veracity

To other members of the forum - i'm having the same problem. i'm above average with linux, but this is still proving a major problem with me as well.

i'm one step ahead of lufc:

you can find the 3com-linux-provided driver from:

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result....&order=desc

but when you "make", it doesn't compile due to incorrect "next" statements in the code. badly coded i think? the Makefile also needs to be manually adjusted to point to the correct kernel version (as the driver was written several years ago). still doesn't compile.

someone has had success with the above, but they describe the 3com driver in an exe file - so the walkthrough is useless now as the 3com linux driver has had its code modified since this walkthrough:

http://kerneltrap.org/node/5470

but anyway, ignore all that as i've found:

http://www.jake-v.co.uk/content/39.php

which, at the bottom of the page shows that you can give the wireless totally working fine using the newer zd1211 driver (not included in mandriva 2006).

i've tried running the "make" for this file

http://zd1211.ath.cx/download/

but i'm now getting "no 'build' directory in /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdk" so i put a folder called build in there, and now i'm getting:

"No rule to make target 'modules'. Stop."

Ideas?

Using mdk control center, could load the ndiswrapper windows driver (which i've pulled from the drivers on the 3com site), but i keep getting the message:

"no device supporting the zd1211u ndiswrapper driver is present!"

doing lshw doesn't mention my 3com usb stick (3crusb10075 / model: 3com WL-545). i'm stuck. and google no help.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Guest veracity
i've tried running the "make" for this file

http://zd1211.ath.cx/download/

but i'm now getting "no 'build' directory in /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdk" so i put a folder called build in there, and now i'm getting:

"No rule to make target 'modules'. Stop."

Ideas?

Update:

This is caused by not having your kernel-source installed. go to mandriva control center, install software, and type "kernel" and choose "kernel-source....." and then the above mentioned file will compile (with a warning: "symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.12-12mdk/Module.symvers is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.".

However, now its compiled, i've NO idea what to do next!

if i go to the mandriva control centre, "set up a new network interface", wireless connection, "manually load a driver", the zd1211 driver isn't there... ARGH!!

help! how do i get the zd1211 driver to show in the mdk control centre list?

Guest veracity

i'm afraid i've given up.

using ubuntu 6.10 (whilst my mandriva 2007 dvd is still in the mail), the wireless is recognised, and with a lot of work (with yet more problems) i've got it to work but still not brilliantly.

I wish linux were more widely accepted, this way i wouldn't have the setup problems i've been having.

What the world needs is a good OS that is also endorced my manufacturers.

ndiswrapper normally works where others failed with native drivers. With Mandriva unfortunately, it's not so simple as using the gui to install ndiswrapper, and then try to get your driver installed. You have to use the command line to finish it off.

I've done this many a time, never had a problem. Now, if you had my laptop and tried to get Mandriva installed, you'd have probably given up very quickly. I spent a whole month getting it right at working ;)