Google PC

ddmcse

Google's motto is "don't be evil", but I get your point phunni :)

I think thin clients and web services are the future for offices, but not for the home. It makes sense for a business to make use of thin client technology; it's cheaper, safer and more secure in general. Home users (and especially gamers) are a different market.

I think Google know this and they're aiming at productivity computer users. Kudos to them for the insight, although, honestly, everyone is thinking this way now.

just got this from MS

Microsoft Office Live is coming.

Hello and thank you for reserving your opportunity to participate in the Microsoft Office Live beta.

Microsoft Office Live is scheduled to make its debut in early 2006.* When it does, you'll receive FREE access to a variety of online services designed to help give your small business the professional Web site and capabilities you need to succeed in today's marketplace. How can Microsoft Office Live benefit your business? Take a look:

> Get a FREE Web site with your own domain name, free hosting, online business applications, e-mail and more.

>Easily access your company e-mail, customer and project information from almost any Internet-connected computer.**

> Make better use of your time and resources with one central location for your important data and smart, easy-to-use tools that can help you manage your small business. \

*At this time, participation in the Microsoft Office Live beta program is open to U.S. residents only. Due to the number of requests received for this beta, we cannot guarantee participation for every registrant. If you are selected as a beta participant, we will send you further information by e-mail.

**Requires Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher, Microsoft® Office 2000 or newer, and Windows XP.

I think thin clients and web services are the future for offices, but not for the home. It makes sense for a business to make use of thin client technology; it's cheaper, safer and more secure in general. Home users (and especially gamers) are a different market.

I think Google know this and they're aiming at productivity computer users. Kudos to them for the insight, although, honestly, everyone is thinking this way now.

I think most home users don't play games as opposed to most home PC's where one person might have games installed.

My mother and father both have PC's with no real games (excluding kde toys) installed and my brother to my knowledge doesn't have any games either. My GF's father only has games her brother has installed ....

My old man does photo retouching and printing and my mum word processing and internet access.

Picassa already exists on IE and Windows but why not just move the whole thing serverside.

I'm dying to try my own version of this using

one server dishing out desktops via LTSP

two powerline ethernet adapters Ethernet over home Electrical wire

and one cooperative neighbor .

t should work , infact if it does work i shoiuld be able to send desktops to many of my neighbors depending on where the fun stops based on which homes are on which electrical transformers .

I think most home users don't play games as opposed to most home PC's where one person might have games installed.

My mother and father both have PC's with no real games (excluding kde toys) installed and my brother to my knowledge doesn't have any games either. My GF's father only has games her brother has installed ....

My old man does photo retouching and printing and my mum word processing and internet access.

Picassa already exists on IE and Windows but why not just move the whole thing serverside.

I just meant that home computers often perform more demanding tasks than your average office desktop (unless you work at Pixar :cheesy: ).

Games were merely an example. Insert audio editing, video editing, dvd compilation, media encoding, etc.

I just meant that home computers often perform more demanding tasks than your average office desktop (unless you work at Pixar :cheesy: ).

Games were merely an example. Insert audio editing, video editing, dvd compilation, media encoding, etc.

Sure but even so there are plenty of people who could use XML based thin clients for some/all of the tasks ... when their primary function is eMail and Internet access but perhapås the important part might be buy on demand ... you rent or use for free the web based app perhaps with ads etc. but if you use it a lot you can download and run locally but still via a browser plugin.

This would make the OS unimportant ... if they offered Word processing as well then this would take care of most peoples needs.

• 2 months later...