/sys/devices gone berserk

polemicz

At least I think it's a problem. I recently set up a new partition and was moving a lot of data to it and soon found my / partition full (using cp -ax command). Looking into it I found that /sys/devices/pci0000:00 was using over 209 MB of space. I have no idea how to clean this up. I did check another system of mine that also had a large amt of space (79MB) there. I'm simply out of space in / as a result of the copy and am stuck with no idea where it went, no obvious culprits. Just to get some breathing room I'm thinking of getting rid of logs. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by polemicz

I've never had this problem myself so I'm just kinda guessing here. But I suspect doing the copy itself had nothing to do with the problem, it just was what happened to make you aware that / was filling up. Instead, this might be caused by udevd trying over and over to initialize a wireless card or something similar. Did you look to see what's actually in the /sys/devices/pci0000:00 file? That should give you a clue to the trouble. Of course I have the file, but mine's empty so I have no idea what any data in it acutally looks like.

I wouldn't delete log files to make space, at least not until I checked them also for clues. Instead, to make room I'd delete the offending /sys/device/pci0000:00 file and re-create it with touch - after checking the contents, of course.

/sys is a virtual filesystem similar to /proc (at least on my system). Virtual filesystems have none in the fist column of the output of the mount command. For more information see man proc.

Going into MCC, I observed in the list of detected hardware a USB port and USB controller. I do not have any USB devices. Could the large /sys/devices/pci0000:00 file be related to this??

Ideally, I would disable the USB controller/port in my BIOS, but I do not see any option to do this.

Luckily I had an extra unused area of my hd. I had to work from failsafe and used drakconf to set up new /var and /tmp partitions. So all is well now.

The problem remains as to what happens when copying large files, whether with cp or using Konq to drag and drop. Because I was able to copy the files to the new partitions in failsafe (actually drakconf moved them) I wonder if when working as a regular user in X creates potential problems.

I, like many folks I'm sure, have limited hd space and have run a tight / and /usr partition scheme. I wish I had a nice big hd, but my old bios only sees 33.8 GB per drive and I have two drives totalling 35GB. For space I had to remove my Debian setup which led to the moving things around. I still have moving to do so I'm concerned how the system actually does it.

Per said:

/sys is a virtual filesystem similar to /proc...

I thought so too and it would regenerate as needed, but after a little more checking into this I certaily wouldn't delete anything in /sys for space. Sorry to steer you wrong, polemicz.

daneiwicz said:

/sys/devices/pci0000:00 is 272.6 MB. Looking within this folder, 0000:00:00.0 is 128 MB. Looking within this folder resource0 is 128 MB. I was unable to use KWrite to look at this file.

On my system /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/resource0 is 262144K. Apparently, that's normal. You couldn't open it with Kwrite 'cause it's not a normal file, rather some code repeated over and over. Open it in Midnight Commander, vi, vim, etc.

I observed in the list of detected hardware a USB port and USB controller. I do not have any USB devices. Could the large /sys/devices/pci0000:00 file be related to this??

Well, you may not have any USB *devices* but unless you have no USB inputs you of course still have USB ports and controllers for those ports.

I don't see how it could be related to this problem anyway.

I'll shut up now and let someone who know much more about all this help you out.

Edited by Crashdamage

On my system /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/resource0 is 262144K. Apparently, that's normal.

Well that makes me feel better. B)

So you don't think any of this this is related to my USB hardware issue. Thats OK too, I was just guessing that it might be related.

But since we are on the subject of USB hardware, I feel that I should be able to disable my USB controller and ports. I tried adding nousb to lilo.conf but the controller and port still show up in MCC.