How would you do it?

kmack

Open for suggestions...

Have a couple new hd's and reinstalling win xp for some games and work related things I need. How would you partition/divide up the space between Windoze and Mandriva 2006 or Dec Club 2006?

Drive 1= Maxtor 200GB

Drive 2= Maxtor 160GB

Lots of room to play.

Thanks for your suggestions! Happy New Year! :drum:

Windows-

create a seperate partition of 30G for the system and the page file. Create a second partitoin of 100G for all program files. These can be ntfs. Then, create a third partition of fat for dual function storage.

Linux-

/ - 10G

/usr - 60G

/home - 40G

swap - 500MB

/var - 10G

Windows-

create a seperate partition of 30G for the system and the page file. Create a second partitoin of 100G for all program files. These can be ntfs. Then, create a third partition of fat for dual function storage.

Linux-

/ - 10G

/usr - 60G

/home - 40G

swap - 500MB

/var - 10G

It's not necessary to have a separate partition for /var. As a matter of fact, you need three partitions: /, /home and swap. In fact, having /, /usr, /usr/local as well as /var and /tmp on the same partition allows for a greater flexibility - with separate / K3B always runs out of buffer space when burning DVDs (it uses /tmp as a buffer dir).

60G for /usr is way too much, I think. If you are into video editing, make /home as large as possible since video editing software is space hungry.

If you want to use suspend to disk (hybernate), swap should be at least = the size of RAM+30%.

You can also create a separate partition for incremental backups.

Edited by coverup

Ixthusdan and coverup,

Thanks for the advice, that's pretty much how I did it with some minor variations. :P Never had so much room to roam before and it was bewildering.

Went ahead and put the December 2006 Club version on it and left a bit of blank spae for playing with other distros if I want to give them a spin. Pretty simple install on my 3 plus year old mobo (Abit KR7a-133 viaKT266A chipset)

Happy New Year to all!

:lol:

That is a lot of room for linux!!

I do usually have a huge /home, but I did not know if you were gaming or not. There are those who advocate a seperate partition for linking symbolically for storage.

Thanks again Ix! I got tired of a 40GB single drive and wanted to start playing with some server and network things as a learning tool. Sure have the room now, eh?

Coming your way soon. Leading a workshop in Waterloo, IN the end of January. Brrrr.... not looking forward to the cold weather.

I agree... any thoughts on partitioning and file systems for these?

That depends on many things.

How often do you backup and what do you backup....what do you expect to be able to restore should there be a major prob?

Win

Ix has well stated a separate page file partition, but that is only necessary for intense apps or old computers.

I never use ntfs, but I guess it's a good idea for most people.

I don't do the separate partition for program files anymore either. Too much hassle in repair, and you end up fixing things continually, til the next disaster.

The dual storage fat partition is also something I do, but it needs to be backed up regularly, incase of corruption, so I make several of these so making backups is quicker and easier.

Lin

Same.....what do you bkup, and what do expect to be able to fix?

I use reiserfs and have for years w/o any issues.

I no longer bother with diff /usr /tmp and /var. Time in making backups is much longer than just reinstalling. Preferences are in $HOME anyway, so I just back that up. If / is big enough then all is well.

I have another 160GB firewire external hd I use for backups. Use it for laptop and desktop /home /data info and archives.

I ended up with the big /home as it is easier to manage and I don't have to think so much. :D My rig won't run all that fast by today's standards anyhow. Athlon XP 1600+ is not a big deal anymore, but is fine for my playing around.

Thanks for the ideas. You all helped me confirm what to do on this.