Failsafe login problem...

TheCrizu

I am having this problem: when i boot my mandriva in to failsafe mode,and change the runlevel from INIT 1 to INIT 3,i cant login,because as soon as i start to type,there will be all sorts of gibberish in the screen,like ^^[[]7^&& etc.And no capslock is on.

This does not occur in INIT 1,i can log on normally. I need INIT 3,because of massive updates on KDE,and to do those updates i need fully networked system,and everything working,except no GUI.

I can vaguely remember,that this occured even after "out-of-the-box" install of mandriva 2006,because back then,i configured my graphics card,and few times xorg crashed,back to INIT 3,and i couldnt log in,because of the abovementioned problem.

Thanks

I hope you mean init5 rather than init1. Making changes to init1 will create an eternally rebooting system, not very useful.

At the bootloader splash screen, you should be able to hit escape, type the name of the os boot (default is "linux") add init 3 and enter. My lilo calls Mandriva "Mandriva", so I would hit escape and type "Mandriva init 3" on the comman line to skip loading x. I use the standard kernel and not "failsafe".