Crossover Office

I've used it, and it does seem to work quite well. However, there are apps that aren't supported but could obviously get running.

You can get a demo version and try it for the apps your having problems with under wine, and see if it helps.

All CrossOver office does is help make things easier. It still uses wine.

Of course, since CXOffice contributes almost all improvements (everything?) back to Wine. :)

It's good- but if you work a bit with wine, then the latter (0.9.4) is equally good and cheaper ( = free).

Granted, CrossOver Office pro 5 has goodies like multiple bottles and automatic bottle backups, but these are eyecandy rather than real functionality.

Thanks for all the inputs. I downloaded 'install-crossover-standard-demo-5.0.0.sh' from the Crossover site and tried to run it (it IS a script, isn't it??), but was rewarded with the following message in both a normal and, subsequently, a root console:

[root@sthelens CrossoverOffice]# /home/lawrence/CrossoverOffice/install-crossover-standard-demo-5.0.0.sh

-bash: /home/lawrence/CrossoverOffice/install-crossover-standard-demo-5.0.0.sh:Permission denied

Any hints on what I'm doing wrong?

Sorry, sorry, sorry, I should have switched my brain on first :woops: The file wasn't executable, now it works and Crossover Office is installed.

Edited by satelliteuser083

Thanks for all the inputs. I downloaded 'install-crossover-standard-demo-5.0.0.sh' from the Crossover site and tried to run it (it IS a script, isn't it??), but was rewarded with the following message in both a normal and, subsequently, a root console:

[root@sthelens CrossoverOffice]# /home/lawrence/CrossoverOffice/install-crossover-standard-demo-5.0.0.sh

-bash: /home/lawrence/CrossoverOffice/install-crossover-standard-demo-5.0.0.sh:Permission denied

Any hints on what I'm doing wrong?

add a dot then a / like this ./ then_the_file_name

• 2 months later...

I realise that I'm a bit late to add anything here either, but I just have to say that I really like CrossOver Office. I use native Linux software for absolutely everything possible, but basically just to use the excellent clean energy simulation spreadsheets from

RETScreen International

(Shameless plug, I know. Please sign up with them and help kindly urging them toward OASIS! :deal: Already free as in beer, BTW.)

I needed to install MS Excel (although I installed MSO 2000 complete, I have only ever used Excel much). I did try importing the spreadsheets directly into KOffice and OOo, but neither would touch them. I then tried Wine, but I'm just not very good at configuring things, so I didn't get far.

For this task, Cross Over is just perfect. I didn't need to be an expert at anything, and an Excel icon is nicely available in the kicker. It just works, with Excel windows side by side with my favourite Linux apps.

I've installed a few other things (iTunes, Quicktime, others) which work seemingly well, but I don't bother using them, and I don't usually play games at all, so I can't really advise beyond MSO, but if there happens to be one MSO item you need to use, I can't help but reccommend XOver.