What is wrong? [solved]

ilia_kr

Hi, yesterday i tried to add a source to the urpmi and that's what i got:

[root@Linux ilia]# urpmi.addmedia mud_GPL ftp://mandrivauser.de/rpm/GPL/10.1/RPMS/ with hdlist.cz
added medium mud_GPL
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (cdrom2).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 3 (cdrom3).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (cdrom1).cz]
retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "mud_GPL"...
ftp://mandrivauser.de/rpm/GPL/10.1/RPMS/hdlist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl: (52) Empty reply from server
retrieval of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed
no hdlist file found for medium "mud_GPL"
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.mud_GPL.cz]
problem reading synthesis file of medium "mud_GPL"
unable to update medium "mud_GPL"
[root@Linux ilia]#

What is wrong and what are possible solutions?

Thanks.

Edited by ilia_kr

It looked like you could, but that the trouble was on the other server's end rather than yours. If you couldn't, it would probably say something like "could no locate server xyz" or something to that effect. Try "ping google.com" and see if that gets a reply to see.

Probably you just need to use another server.

It looked like you could, but that the trouble was on the other server's end rather than yours. If you couldn't, it would probably say something like "could no locate server xyz" or something to that effect. Try "ping google.com" and see if that gets a reply to see.

Probably you just need to use another server.

I tried other servers too and got the same results...

How does urpmi connects to the internet? I use a proxy on a local PC to share the connection.

Maybe the problem is that it can't connect to the internet?

Your using a proxy may definitely be the problem.

Urpmi should be specifically configured to use proxy.

"man proxy.cfg" in a terminal ( or "man:proxy.cfg" in Konqueror) will show you some information about configuring urpmi for that matter.

It simply stucks... what next?

[root@Linux ilia]# urpmi.addmedia main ftp://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/OS/Linux/Dist/Mandrake/mandrake/official/                               10.1/i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz
added medium main
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (cdrom2).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 3 (cdrom3).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (cdrom1).cz]

...and that's it

Do the following first: In MCC, disable the CDs as source (do not remove them, just uncomment them). Now remove the main mirror you added to it. And now try a different mirror. I had the same problem with some mirrors that refused to work because the servers were not updated correctly after the switch from Mandrake to Mandriva. Other mirrors worked instantly like e.g. ftp://mandrake.contactel.cz/.

Do the following first: In MCC, disable the CDs as source (do not remove them, just uncomment them). Now remove the main mirror you added to it. And now try a different mirror. I had the same problem with some mirrors that refused to work because the servers were not updated correctly after the switch from Mandrake to Mandriva. Other mirrors worked instantly like e.g. ftp://mandrake.contactel.cz/.

I'll try your sourse, thanks, but now i have that problem:

[root@Linux ilia]# urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp.song.fi/pub/mirrors/Mandrake-linux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates/ with media_info/hdlist.cz
added medium updates
retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "updates"...
   ftp://ftp.song.fi/pub/mirrors/Mandrake-linux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates/media_info/hdlist.cz
...retrieving failed: curl: (7) couldn't connect
retrieval of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed
no hdlist file found for medium "updates"
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.updates.cz]
problem reading synthesis file of medium "updates"
unable to update medium "updates"
[root@Linux ilia]#

Is this the problem you mentioned above?

Either the mirror you are using (ftp://ftp.song.fi) has not updated its mirrors or your system might block the traffic. Things to check for: Security settings (make them "normal", not "high"); Firewalls (disable them for now).

I do use a firewall, i thought that it might be a problem indeed. Can i just open some port in order to enable URPMI's connection (same happend to Emule on XP) ?

Yes, you can open single ports. You need to go into advanced mode for that in the MCC. I think the port needed for urpmi is port80, but I am not sure. Someone correct me please, if that information is wrong.

• 3 weeks later...