Panic or No Panic

Guest bapu

Hello,

I'm running KDE on Mandrake 10.0, my ISP is Comcast Broadband and I just noticed something very alarming.

I cannot launch any application from the desktop unless the computer is connected to the internet. Regardless of what I try to launch (Browser, OpenOffice, Terminal window, kcalc etc) if the connection to the internet is disconnected the app will not launch (I see the hourglass in the desktop panel but nothing happens until I restore the internet connection).

My "Security Level" is set on 'high' and the shorewall is up and running. I have never even launched any web server on this machine. This has me very concerned!

What is going on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sounds "interesting". Check your permission settings in the binary folder. Can the apps be launched as root? A basic question is how your box got compromised, if it got at all. Are you connected to the net constantly or only periodically? Please check if somebody created a bunch of directories (like e.g. /usr/var/tmp/... notice that it is "..." and not "..") on your system.

I am far from an expert in this respect, but you might want to run this in a terminal:

netstat -tap

and look for activity on unusual ports. The last column will give you a PID/process, then

lsof -p xxxx

(where the xxxx represent the PID of suspicous network activity)

also do an

lsof -i :22

(which should list all open files associated with sshd port 22)

In any way, you should disable unnecessary services and thus cloe the ports that could be used for compromising your box.

Good luck.

how do you connect to the internet? dial-up? cable/dsl?

If you are connecting through an ethernet card, and that starts up when you boot the machine, often times when you disconnect that programs may take forever and a day to start up - I've experienced this on many mandrake/driva releases.