basic requirement

Maideen

hi, currently I am runing Mandarake Linux on a Pentium 3 with 256mb ram. I thought of getting a Pentium 4 with more memory. wat is the best requirement?

also the display card ATI or NVDIA . I dont know which to choose. and how do I setup DSL modem. your kind help please.............thanks.

As above NVIDIA are better supported ....

Any P4 will work great unless you want to run the latest games. You don't say what P3 you are using but even the decent 700Mhz plus are fine for most stuff but once you buy a new chip the price differences are not amazing... and its usually not much difference to buy a mid-range chip ... apart from anything else these tend to be more mature in manufacturing, use less power and hence generate less heat and need less fans = noise.

Most users here seem to have AMD chips (like me) ... but for me I usually build my own and the main point keeping the price down is find a motherboard and chip (a chip needs a certain type of plug on a motherboard)which are both cheap because sometimes the cheapest old chips you end up paying more for a motherboard. Going P3->P4 you will need a new box and psu because the design changed and the P4 needs extra power direct to the chip.

Avoid motherboards or ready made PC's with built in graphics cards etc. because these both tend to be less comaptible in general and you can't just change it later when prices drop for more expensive (now) cards...

I tend to always put 1GB in my decent machines (1300Mhz+) just because its so cheap now and linux loves memory .. it can live without it but when you have it things are smoother. For instance I rarely need a swap partition and this cuts down on disk usage tremendously and results in quiety computers.

As daniewicz... said make sure you get a ethernet modem if possible, it cuts down on a lot of possible hassle and also is faster than USB if you get ADSL2 (USB only 8Mb/sec) ...

People posting your question often post the finds up and let the folks here give a comment .. you can use the URL tags to link ot a site.

I would do a search (if ur planning to put it together yourself) on the normal sites like (depending where you are newegg etc. and look for mobo processor combo's ... and prices and then ask about specific ones. There are literally hundreds and it would depend on what you intend to use the computer for....

Example only

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819104245

AMD Sempron 64 2800+ 800MHz FSB Socket 754 Processor - Retail $75.50

GIGABYTE GA-K8U Socket 754 ULi M1689 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $48

+1GB mem =$39

U will need a new box as well for the new upgraded CPU's

But if it was me I would wait for the sales...

personally I use shuttles due to space and noise limitations

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&InnerManu=1465

It all depends on what you want.

If you want CLI only

Pentium I with at least 32 MB and a hard disk > 2 GB should be alright. Any graphic card will do, and you probably won't have any use for sound.

4 M

If you want X Windows

Pentium II with at least 64 MB RAM and a hard disk > 6 GB should be good. A graphics card that is at least 2D accelerated should be fine.

If you want X Windows at its fullest

Pentium III at 1 GHz with 128 MB RAM, 10 GB hard disk, A 3D card with >=64 MB VRAM (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NVIDIA, SINCE THEY DO NOT NEGLECT THEIR LINUX BASE), and a decent sound card.

Mandriva Linux picks up DSL modems and Ethernet devices pretty readily. When I had Mandy 8.2, it picked up my cable modem and WINMODEM really good. It has a pretty good hardware base, so I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you have some really exotic hardware (Hayes Accura 14400 Baud Modem, for example, which I have).

Don't buy the latest and greatest because, most likely, the performance differential between that and a mid-range system of 2002 will probably be unnoticeably small (unless you do scientific stuff like TeX and Maxima).

Edited by AcuraRBKG6

so as long as you have a reasonably fast p3 or better, you're set as far as processor requirements. 128 might be a minimum on the books, but a true min. is more like 256 MB. 512 will allow for nice smooth operation without much (or any most of the time) hitting of swap space (hard disk space that linux moves stuff to because it doesn't have enough RAM). i've got a 3-year old p4 (2.26 GHz) which runs linux wonderfully. but i also had a 233 PII laptop with 192 MB RAM which runs a stripped down linux okay.

video cards should be nvidia. better drivers.