Flash problem in firefox [solved]

janet.doe

Hi!

I have firefox 1.5 installed on my mandriva 2006 free with kde 3.5 and something is wrong with sounds in firefox. I can hear sounds in javagames when playing but when watching flash movies or playing flash games there is no sound. I have the latest macromedia flashplayer installed and when I go to http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/ it seems that everything is just as it's supposed to be. Any ideas how to solve this?

-j.d.

Edited by janet.doe

HI.

I did reinstall firefox 1.5 with a new profile after someone told me that the old profile could be the reason of this soundproblem but this did not make any change.

It's no matter if there some else programs using soundsystem or not - still can't hear flashsounds.

Hi again!

Hmm... I just remembered that I have two soundcards in my computer... Tried the other one, that I really don't use, just haven't taken it of the computer... And what happens is that I can hear the flash sounds via that card. Maybe if I take that card of my sound problem is gone. Or what do you think? Thanks everyone, I think I just start using my brains again! :D

• 3 months later...

I also have the no sound in flash issue. Previously, I had gone into the Configure/KDE/Webbrowsing/Plugins and checked the play sound through aRTs. However, this isn't working properly. Is there anyone who has an Idea? Also, running KDE 3.5.2 (MDE) kernel 2.6.12-18, Firefox 1.5.0.2 and the latest flashplayer (as of 4/20/06 whatever version was available). A possibly related issue - when I hit scan for plugins, I get an error about could not load Netscape Plugins error:

The nspluginscan executable cannot be found. Netscape plugins will not be scanned.

and the flashplayer plugin is not listed in the KDE control panel. Thanks in advance.

**edit: fixed the nsplugins error by installing kdebase-nsplugins package. I now have flashplayer in the window. Now have sound with flash in Konqueror but still no sound in Firefox. I only have one sound card.***

!!Update: I ran harddrake changed the driver to nvidia (have an NFORCE3 board) rebooted and then chose the default driver for my sound card (how this matters, I don't know since the other driver worked for sound like AmaroK, etc.) rebooted and now it seems to be working fine. Why this wouldn't have worked before, I dunno since the default driver is what was loaded before!!!

Edited by sn8kman

modify your firefox shortcut like the following:

put: aoss firefox or aoss mozilla-firefox

You can run those from the command line as well to test before you modify the shortcut.

Make sure you have aoss installed. Flash doesn't play well with arts sometimes and you have multiple devises competing for sound playback, so aoss forces sound through alsa

Edited by guppetto