Mandriva 2006 - Ready for prime time?

rogerh

I realize this is a subjective question, but I have to rebuild my system now, and am/was planning to use 2006. I did notice that 2006 was just released, so I am wondering if it is a good choice or if I should go downlevel to a more stable Mandriva version. I am a relative newbie and can stand only very limited pain......

Thanks -- Roger

I'd say it depends on your graphics. If you have an nvidia graphics card, then 2005 might be a better choice. Some people had trouble with an update and losing their gui afterwards, due to nvidia. And if your system does not boast more than 256 MB RAM, then 2005 might be a better choice, too. Apart from these two things, I'd recommend using 2006.

I'd recommend 2006, and I use nvidia drivers :P

If your using 2006 Free, no real problems, just install kernel-source and then download the nvidia drivers from nvidia's website and install.

If Powerpack, you will have dkms and dkms-nvidia. Remove these, install kernel source, and then install drivers from nvidia website, and your sorted.