Install on Sony Vaio [solved]

Guest juxx

Hi all,

I'm installing Mandriva 2006 on my LapTop, (Sony Vaio BX197XP), but

installation hangs after I press enter on first lilo menu.

I even tried <F1> and "linux noauto" but nothing to do.

I think problem is cd-rom drive, a hotswap unit that in windows appears like as USB device.

May it be the problem?

Well... have I to grow up my children with m$ win? Please help me...

:help:

• 1 month later...
Guest ggvette88

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.

I've just bought a Sony BX197XP. This looked like a good choice : lot of hard disk space (2x80GB)... ideal for linux :lol2:

But each time I've tried to install my Mandriva 2006, installation hanged shortly after beginning.

I've found this topic while I was searching a solution to solve this installation problem.

I've tried the solution proposed here (F1: linux noapic acpi=off). I've also tried to combine with alternative kernel provided on the mandriva DVD. But nothing works. With one of the alternative kernel (alt1 I guess), installation runs a bit longer (graphical interface launch but an error message appear, problem with IRQ 3 and IRQ 7 and the system reboot after a key is pressed). Result were likely the same with Mandriva LE2005.

As I had already saw some PC on which mandrake did not can be installed but on which other distributions worked fine, I've tried to install Fedora Core. Error message with FC3 ("USB problem" if I remember). Error message with FC 4.91 (latest test version available) : "No hard disk place to install". I've installed FC4 nearly without problem but the system hangs on boot at pcmcia module loading.

I've also tried Aurox Live 10.3 : unable to find the CD.

USB seems to be one of the sources of the problems, but pcmcia appears also to be responsible.

So, except if somedody here can find a solution, I suppose that we can consider this laptop (Sony BX197XP) as incompatible with Mandriva Linux 2006 and most linux distributions.

I had an old sony vaio with one of those cd drives that plugged into the pcmcia slot. It was always a problem getting any linux distro to install on the thing. Try passing these boot options:

linux ide2=0x180,0x386 nopcmcia

That worked for many of them IIRC but even if the install went, the cd drive would give me problems if I attempted to connect it after the install. Frequently, that would lock the whole system up. If the install does go, boot up without the drive connected first and then try connecting the drive after boot.

If you google "linux sony ide2=0x180,0x386" you will see many entries on the problems people have had getting linux to install on a sony vaio with that cursed cd drive

• 8 months later...

Good news for everybody!

Mandriva 2007 free resolve any compatibility issue with my Vaio VGN-BX197XP....

Now I've Mandriva on my lap top... I have not to grow up my children with window$! :)

Download, guys!

the juxx