Thank God for The Linux Mirror Project

condorito

I have always hated the downloads page @ Mandriva's. Are they trying to get you confused with so much stuff, or are they trying to make you go Club? After all it's a business, bottom line you know!!! I mean, would it be too bad for their bottom line to include a bit-torrent link to the free version without the hassle of having to actively look for it. I think Mandriva's site is setup like that to disencourage users from getting the free version. I don't know, just a little rant I guess, though I don't think I am too far off.

:drum:

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman]

go to mandrivalinux.com -> click on "download" on the left hand side -> scroll down to the mention of the "free edition" -> scroll down to the edition you want -> click on "mirrors for mandriva linux [whatever edition you choose", didn't seem any harder to get to than any other linux distro download. mandriva has never offered bittorrents, though, which is a bit sad since it's a great way to distribute a product. and of course they bug you to buy it, that's how they make money and continue to make a product!

go to mandrivalinux.com -> click on "download" on the left hand side -> scroll down to the mention of the "free edition" -> scroll down to the edition you want -> click on "mirrors for mandriva linux [whatever edition you choose", didn't seem any harder to get to than any other linux distro download.  mandriva has never offered bittorrents, though, which is a bit sad since it's a  great way to distribute a product.  and of course they bug you to buy it, that's how they make money and continue to make a product!

I thought bit torrent was available to club members?

I just tested the mandriva downloads and it is heaps better than the old days where finding the downloads page was the hardest part.

Now its understanding the differences ... a big step I guess.

If it's only the wallpaper/bootsplash that is getting on your nerves, I can send you the non-free wallpaper (which doesn't say "non-free" of course). Way better than the free one and in that nice indigo colour, instead of simple blue.

Hmmm. I think it comes down to the same problem as ever....

IMPORTANT NOTE: It's crucial for Mandriva Linux's future that you join the Mandriva Club if you download any version of Mandriva Linux. Club members are entitled to download many additional software and have many other advantages such as an extended list of mirrors and early access to Mandriva Linux new releases!

The basic problem is they can't decide between 'the club' and Powerpacks etc. and don't really have a well defined business model.

Basically you get lost in what you get for your money... Powerpack or Club? etc. and it takes a lot of reading to work it out. Most people can't be bothered, you need to be a Mandriva fan to wade through the products and pricing so they are trying to discourage FREE and get peopel to pay up. The problem is I was never against paying up.... I was against them changing what it got you randomly from one release to the next. StarOffice was one I remember where it was provided to everyone, then only members then only silver members and above.

I see Free as in Free Software - which is the other meaning, that they also intend.

And that one is purely positive, IMHO.

Where this in any way indicates that FC is the way to go is beyond me - FC is the RH testing distro where you don't get the final version... and where IMHO the online (fan-) support has quite a bit of catching up to do with for example this board, when it comes to newbies (RH/FC and Debian crowd are often more UTFS/RTFM types and less newbie friendly)....

and where IMHO the online (fan-) support has quite a bit of catching up to do with for example this board, when it comes to newbies (RH/FC and Debian crowd are often more UTFS/RTFM types and less newbie friendly)....

I'm not aware of the RH community and the boards you refer to, but are we talking about an unofficial, or official community here? IMHO it would be wrong to compare an unnoficial community of one distro to an official comunity of another.

To be fair, Mandriva's official community is nothing for them to be proud of, if anyone every needs help with Mandy, I send them here as they are more likely to get the answers they need in a timely fashion (barring a few specific issues privvy to the official community itself, etc)

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi