NET connection problems!

dev_devil

also as ii checked it seems there is no gateway defined!!!

this is what i get for /sbin/route

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         mygateway1.ar7  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Edited by dev_devil

DId you just do what I mentioned in Firefox, or did you disable ipv6 editing /etc/modules.conf and putting that line at the bottom?

alias net-pf-10 off

should be at bottom of modules.conf

konqueror should have no problems working then. However, if you are picking up DHCP from the router, you are likely to have a default route. Since you can browse with Firefox, then the network config is fine.

You have to reboot after adding this, so that ipv6 is completely disabled.

DId you just do what I mentioned in Firefox, or did you disable ipv6 editing /etc/modules.conf and putting that line at the bottom?

alias net-pf-10 off

should be at bottom of modules.conf

konqueror should have no problems working then.  However, if you are picking up DHCP from the router, you are likely to have a default route.  Since you can browse with Firefox, then the network config is fine.

You have to reboot after adding this, so that ipv6 is completely disabled.

i did both the things

i.e added the line to module.conf and the filter part in mozilla!!

edit also how do u open conf file BTW i did it by vi in konsole and what i got was a screen full of" / (every line 1 /) thats it so i inserted it the line on the first / "

Edited by dev_devil

OK, one more thing worth checking and sorting out. Realtek has a problem with apic.

Go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer.

Then select the boot option on left hand side. Now go into Boot Configuration, and there are options for disabling APIC, Local APIC etc. First, make sure that APIC is disabled, then reboot, and see if it's any better. I think the actual options are:

No APIC

No Local APIC

these will have to be enabled to disable apic.

If not, then make sure Local APIC is disabled.

Kernel IP routing table

It seems you do have a gw ...

but it needs to be resolved in /etc/hosts and the search path for DNS resolution in /etc/resolv.conf but these should be done already because you can ping google... and rereading what I missed firefox now works

What happens in XP if you set the auto proxy detection off? I wonder if it is because you set it up as a VPN or the NAT is not functioning seamlessly.... GAIM etal use a different port to http. Hence you need to either let these through the NAT settings on the router (most secure) OR set your PC into the DMZ (easiest).. The DMZ is fine in linux with moderate security... but I wouldn't use it for XP.... (then again if it all works do you WANT to connect to the internet with XP)

If you choose to set up the NAT it needs doing for all ports you use like GAIM, gnutella etc.

The router should be fine with basic config, since it will let all your apps communicate with the internet, but it won't allow anyone to connect to you. I have no problems running gaim, etc, and I've not opened any ports, or done anything with nat/firewall on the DLINK router.

Kernel IP routing table

It seems you do have a gw ...

but it needs to be resolved in /etc/hosts and the search path for DNS resolution in /etc/resolv.conf but these should be done already because you can ping google... and rereading what I missed firefox now works

What happens in XP if you set the auto proxy detection off? I wonder if it is because you set it up as a VPN or the NAT is not functioning seamlessly.... GAIM etal use a different port to http. Hence you need to either let these through the NAT settings on the router (most secure) OR set your PC into the DMZ (easiest).. The DMZ is fine in linux with moderate security... but I wouldn't use it for XP.... (then again if it all works do you WANT to connect to the internet with XP)

If you choose to set up the NAT it needs doing for all ports you use like GAIM, gnutella etc.

can u tell me how do i do what you hav mentioned above?

i wud definately want to connect to the usin linux if it will work

OK, one more thing worth checking and sorting out.  Realtek has a problem with apic.

Go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer.

Then select the boot option on left hand side.  Now go into Boot Configuration, and there are options for disabling APIC, Local APIC etc.  First, make sure that APIC is disabled, then reboot, and see if it's any better.  I think the actual options are:

No APIC

No Local APIC

these will have to be enabled to disable apic.

If not, then make sure Local APIC is disabled.

i did as u said now the boot loader says this!!

snapshot27jf.png

this does not help still as i am not able to connect with konqueror and gaim etall

can u tell me how do i do what you hav mentioned above?

i wud definately want to connect to the usin linux if it will work

Presuming firefox is now working you need to set the ports for GAIM to your IP....

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/faq.php#q67

cannot connect to Yahoo! and I'm behind a firewall or NAT. Why doesn't Gaim have Yahoo's "Firewall with no proxy" option?

Yahoo!'s firewall with no proxy option connects to Yahoo! by wrapping the YMSG protocol inside HTTP. Gaim currently doesn't support doing this.

Gaim does support changing the port it connects to. Try changing the Pager Port in the Account editor under "Show more options". Ports known to work are: 20, 23, 25, 80, 119, 5050, 8001, and 8002. While this doesn't work for as many people as actually tunneling through the HTTP protocol would, it helps many users.

You need to use this setting then in the router setup you coinfigure it....

There are different ways...

Im looking at the V3.0 manual I downloaded from dlink!

If you setup a bridged "network" it will just transfer everything transparently.... this is Ok in linux but riskier in XP and you will need to set up PPPOE in linux! I can't help on this because I don't have MDK and mandrake does this weirdly....

you can set the IP manually to a known IP different to XP... and then point this IP as a DMZ in your router (page 34)