urpmi weirdness

angst

Hi Mandriva users!

I have a recent install of Mandriva 2006 free DVD with updates applied. Everything went fairly smoothly and just a few bugs to iron out. I will start with this one:

I added all my urpmi sources and every time I do an urpmi.update -a the system downloads the updates list whether it needs to or not. Same thing happens with MCC. Start it. It contacts the specified server and downloads the list for updates. Then it shows that there is nothing to update. (I already applied all the updates shortly after the initial install) I can sit there and do this time after time after time...

When I first noticed this I removed all my urpmi sources (including my local media) and re-added them with easy-urpmi. No help. I'm currently using usc.edu for main, contrib and updates.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

That's what it's suppose to do. How do you expect the system to determine if updates are necessary without checking the various repositories? When you run urpmi.update -a that's exactly what you're telling the system to do - contact the repos, check the hdlist on the sites(i.e. download them) and compare it with what you have for changes and update as necessary. The OS will do this every time you run that command no matter if you did it two minutes ago or two months ago.

Are you sure about this? I don't recall this behavior in 10.1 or 2005 LE. In those distros urpmi would check the md5 sum of the hdlist(?) on the server and compare it with what was already on my HD. Only if it was different would it download the new list. Now it downloads the list everytime I run urpmi even if I had done it just 5 minutes ago.

Yes, updates always downloads automatically. The only ones that don't are main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

These ones you have to forcibly update. If the update list didn't update, you'd never know about updates for your system, as pmpatrick stated. Updates has always updated before displaying the list on every version of Mandrake/Mandriva that I've used since 10.0 Official upwards.

Thank you all for the responses and explanations but they just don't seem to agree with my systems. But you had me thinking I was imagining things so:

I put my 2005 LE drive in and ran urpmi.update on it this morning. I hadn't updated in a while because I have been playing with 2006. As expected urpmi downloaded the new hdlist from the updates server. When it completed I ran urpmi again. It compared md5 sum of the hdlist on my computer and the one on the server and didn't download the hdlist since there was nothing new compared to the one it had just downloaded. Then I ran urpmi.update -a again when I got home from work and it compared md5 sums and didn't dowload the hdlist since there still wasn't anything new.

I just put my Mandriva 2006 drive in, booted, ran urpmi and it always wants to download the hdlist from the updates server even if I just did a urpmi.update -a 5 minutes ago.

I guess I will clear out my sources and start over again to see if I can get the behavior of my 2005 LE system. But, man, urpmi takes time on time on a dial up connection. I'll let you know how I get on in case anybody is interested.

Thank you.

OK now I am confused.

After reading the post by angst, I decided to look for updates multiple times on my 2005 LE box.

The first update yielded "download of hdlist.cz from medium updates"

The second and third update attempts (applied immediately) did not produce any download.

I'll check out my 2006 system later and see if it does this behaviour.

Choose "Use Compressed Index" just in case you've not already selected it, although I can imagine this might even take a bit of time over dialup.

I removed repo's, cleaned out /var/lib/urpmi and then added new repo's again with easy-urpmi. 2006 still downloads the hdlist from updates whether the list has changed or not. I tried a different update server and it still does the same thing.

Ian, did you ever check your system? I would be interested in knowing whether its just my 2006 that does this or all 2006 installs.

Thanks.