wireless goes today but not tomorrow

AleXxiO

hi people,

i finally configured my wireless ipw2200 with intel drivers and firmware...

but everyday it changes my ethX device, where X is 0,1,2,3 depending on days :D

but this is not the only problem, in fact my connectivity doesn't respond always...

in fact i can see, when i probe the wireless net with ifup or drakroam, that the led switches on and off and it doesn't attach to the router...even dhclient does not go and i use to remain hours in trying to configuring that...most of times i switch on windows, but sometimes i need the net on linux and after rebooting it maybe will go....

what should i configure to make it to go in a stable manner??? tnx for your answers, please help

• 2 weeks later...

every boot :D

i have eth0 (ethernet) and eth1 (i think it is the firewire port)...

now i noticed that mcc wanted me to put the firmware ipw-2.3 in /lib/hotplug/firmware but i had the 2.4 version, so i renamed that files and mcc did the installation . it resulted in lot of firmware problems reported in dmesg as

"ipw2200: firmware error: restarting ..." (this line repeated lot of times)

the question is: if i want to install wireless with mcc it asks me to put in /lib/hotplug/firmaware the 2.3 version, how to make it ask me the 2.4 version??

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the firmware of ipw2200 depends solely on the kernel. That means that a higher version number does not necessarily indicate better operability.

Therefore, what I would do is (as root, of course) is erase all of the files in /lib/hotplug/firmware and downlaod the 2.3 files to substitute. If anything, after you reboot your computer try to modprobe ipw2200 if nothing comes up (which it should).

Before you reboot, however, try to delete all interfaces too, and install the wireless by itself to see how that works out.

-C

Edited by AcuraRBKG6

• 3 weeks later...