Linux-compatible cable-router required

satelliteuser083

Help, my Linksys router has fallen over :cry: Is anyone else out there on [ntl] cable-broadband, using a router; if so, which one do you use? One problem with the Linksys router is that you have to use Windoz (specifically, Internet Explorer) to set it up, something that I would prefer to avoid; I tried with Firefox, but that didn't work, at least not with ME. Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially by the wife.

Edited by satelliteuser083

There is another way :P

Install wine (urpmi wine), and use this link:

http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/config.html

it will download Internet Explorer and install into wine, thus no longer requiring Windows for anything that restricts you to use IE!!! :D

You can configure a linksys in linux by opening a browser and typing in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hit "Enter". You will then be prompted for a username and password. On a new router, leave the username blank and use "admin" for the password. You will be at the router config page. Be sure to change your default password from admin.

The linksys wrt54g routers are on sale now at a lot of places and you can get a pretty good deal. These have a linux OS at there core and most are hackable if you're into that. The new wrt54gx is linksys's new "pre 802.11n" version and is supposedly 8X faster than the G version when used with linksys's SRX adapters. These are pretty pricey. The standard wrt54g and the the other wireless G routers are on sale in anticipation of the new 802.11n routers which will come out later in 2006.

Well, it has worked. :P I used Konquerer - much more comfortable than IE - though it was necessary in MCC to change 'protocol' from 'DHCP' (failed to find address 192.168.1.1) to 'static' (found address); I was then able to set up the router with no problems. The router is a type BEFSR41, version one, (wired) and I had to set the DHCP-addresses in my two computers to 192.168.1.100 and 101 (not 192.168.1.2 and 3 as last time in a version two). Anyway, as stated, it's now working (until the next problem ??); many thanks all round. :thumbs:

Edited by satelliteuser083

ianw1974:

I presume you mean hackable in the good sense that you can reconfigure. And not that it's hackable by others tongue.gif

I meant that there is open source firmware available for the router that can greatly increase its functionality. Linksys routers use a stripped down version of linux on their routers and the code is available. The memory capacity of the wrt54g router is big eneough to allow for significant hacking and there is a whole community that has grown up around writing new firmware for this router. See this article for more details:

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3562391

• 3 weeks later...
One problem with the Linksys router is that you have to use Windoz (specifically, Internet Explorer) to set it up

That's very odd. I use a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, with a combination of wired and wireless connections, and it configures fine under Linux with Firefox. I've never had a Windows machine anywhere near it.

Which model do you have, and do you have any idea what the thing is that requires IE for it to work?

One problem with the Linksys router is that you have to use Windoz (specifically, Internet Explorer) to set it up

That's very odd. I use a Linksys WRT54G wireless router, with a combination of wired and wireless connections, and it configures fine under Linux with Firefox. I've never had a Windows machine anywhere near it.

Which model do you have, and do you have any idea what the thing is that requires IE for it to work?

Well, it's a type BEFSR41, version one, (wired), and the reason for requiring IE is that the instruction manual says so :unsure: . Nevertheless, as you can see above, I've solved the problem (with some invaluable help) using Konqueror. I was also very happy to be able to configure it without having Windoz near it :P

Sorry, you did mention the model number before - must have missed that in my first skim through.

It sounds like the advice for using IE is the browser equivalent of a "dry clean only" washing instruction. Garment manufacturers sometimes cannot be bothered to check whether their products will wash well in all washing powders, etc., so they just stick a "dry clean only" label on them and hope that the professional cleaners will get it right.

They probably only test with IE, so it's the only one they can guarantee. Anyway, glad it's all working again.