When I migrated to Linux (and my computer history)

hans796

Hi all..

I'm a 50 years old (young) computer freak from sweden. I''ve been using computers since the world began (joke). Well since abouth the end of the 80's. I began my computer experiences with an Atari ST 1024 (remember them?). My first PC was a wonder. An AST box with 8 MB RAM and 586 processor running at stunning 90mhz. Wow!

After that i made a stunning upgrade to an AMD K5 (6?) 266mhz.

I've been installing Linux several times under the years, mostly Red Hat, as they sometimes where on coverdisks of computer magazines i've been bying. I didn't have an internet broadband then, and got it rather lately.

For abouth six months ago i decided, for reasons that actually still are rather unclear for me, to give Linux a seroius try.

I've tried several distributions; Mepis, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu and of course Mandriva.

Ubuntu (Hoary) worked very well and i was suprised and glad over the easyness to install both the OS and apt-get applications. Though i learned that it took lots of memory to run well.

Mandriva 2005 LE was my next succesfull installation. I've learned easy-urpmi and as with Ubuntu i discovered the willingness of these communities to help. Actually i only have been forced to ask questions very seldom, i search in this community 99% of the time gives an answer to my problem.

Now I've been running Mandriva 10.1 for a while and i'm very pleased with it. A funny point is that when i upgraded my hardware i actually had to switch to 10.1 to make my machine to work smoothly. But i dont care as long as it works well.

To be real honest i'm not a 100% migrater. I have a second machine running Windows XP and i use it as an muscibox for all my mp3's. It's connected to my stereo and with 2 big speakers and 2 behind my back and a subwoofer i have the towns best music-play-enviroment.

But my main machine is running Mandriva 10.1.

I use Mozilla as my web browser in 10.1 i run 1.7.8. works fine.

Mozilla Messenger for email.

Lopster and BitTorrent for music sharing and downloading.

XMMS for playing mp3.

Mplayer and Kaffeine for Videos.

Enemy-Territory, Quake III and Quake II, Castle Wolfenstein for my gaming needs.

I also been able to install Acrobat Reader, Flash, Java, Real Player with webbrowser plugins.

Yeah.. I'm really satisfied with Mandriva and Linux.

If any other old windows user are plannning or doing a migration to Linux i will be happy to share my experiences. You can reach my by email hans796@gmail.com.

Greetz from The Kingdom of Sweden.

PS! I hope i posted i the right place DS!

[moved from Software by spinynorman :)]

My 16 year old son has now completely switched to Linux, having completely wiped Windows off his system. What held him back was music, he used iTunes on his Windows machine, but after getting into Amarok he is happy. He raves about the stability, not worrying about all sorts of junk messing his sytem up and states that his 2006 runs faster than his old XP system ran (same hardware).

I'm in the middle of trying to get my machine switched at work from Windows to Linux. It currently dual boots both, because of various things that I need Windows for. One is a timesheet system that only works in Internet Explorer. Another is my English/Polish dictionary, which I really can't survive without.

Lotus Notes was another reason, but I got that working under wine. Internet Explorer will also run under wine too, so again, don't have to worry about that. It's just my dictionary!

On the other side, I'm also trying to get our VMware upgraded to latest version but also purchasing a few Linux copies too, which means I can definitely switch to Windows then, since I can use my English/Polish dictionary in a Virtual Machine :P

Not the best solution I know, but at least I can gain access when I need it.

But glad you're doing good so far, soon you'll make the complete transition to Linux and never want to go back. All my machines at home are completely Linux, apart from my wife who dual boots Windows/Linux at present. I'll solve that soon though :D

On the other side, I'm also trying to get our VMware upgraded to latest version but also purchasing a few Linux copies too, which means I can definitely switch to Windows then, since I can use my English/Polish dictionary in a Virtual Machine :P

Not the best solution I know, but at least I can gain access when I need it.

You could probably just run a single VMWARE session remotely and use it on other machines or run terminal services and use a client to access it. It would depend largely on how many people need to use how many apps and the budget.

Well as I suspected , I posted in wrong topic. Sorry admin. I learn day by day..

Greetz again..

Just post anywhere as Spiny loves to move posts. It's his hobby :P

Just kidding. :cheesy:

One note: there is nothing wrong in still using Windows. As long as it works for you... We won't tear you apart because of that. ;)

What I really miss on Linux most is good semi-pro video editing and animation software like Adobe Premiere and Bauhaus Mirage :( Same goes for software by Sonicfoundry.

Then I wouldn't have to use Windows at all.

I wonder when the big players will begin to make their software for Linux too. I'd buy it, can't really afford, but I'd buy as long as it runs flawlessly on Linux.