Uber geeks needed

paul

ok all you Uber geeks !!! ... how many of you are running gentoo?

how much better/worse is it?

it looks like a killer to install, but I'm no n00bie, so what should I look out for? what pitfalls have you guys already encountered?

and do I have recompile the kernel for SMP support :evil: ?

and who can loan me a HDD so I don't wreck my Mandrake Disk :wink:

Guest Kamikaze_Gerbil

I tried to install it on my Celeron 300 using the stage 3 tarballs. 7 hours later and it was still a long way from being installed! :( I think I'll stick to Mandrake for awhile. Or maybe Yoper when the final is released. I installed that on the 300 and it only took 20 min to install and was faster than Mandrake.

I run Gentoo, I really really like it. I did the install from stage 1, went very smooth. You just print and follow the install docs pretty much to the letter and it will go well.

I notice a bit of a proformance boost, though nothing extream. The best thing about gentoo I think is portage and the fact that if you keep all the packages updated you will have the latest gentoo. to install things all you have to do is type

emerge programName

then it will check out all the dependacies and install them automatically. For example typing "emerge kde" (before you have installed X and all that) it will see that you need X and these other packages, then it will download all the sources and compile them.

Drawbacks:

-getting the base system setup takes a fair bit of time

-a bit of a learning curve at the start if you are not used to editing config files by hand.

the last drawback after you get used to it is not a drawback as I have learned so much

One good thing is during the install your computer is still usable. During the install I surfed with lynx including reading the forums :) But once done you will know just how much the mandrake installer and tools do for you

I'm just not that uber g33k yet. I watched a fella install gentoo on a dual 1ghz Mac and the computer couldn't keep up with him. He was really good.

I'm running ML 9.1 Beta 3 right now and I've noticed a tremendous boost in response time. (Even on this 2.53 P4 :D ) Much better than any ML I've used before.

Don't know if it's KDE 3.1 or ML 9.1 or both that is better refined but it is. We're almost to the point of useability by the masses.

tyme.

There seems to be a problem wih sed (which is needed by mirrorselect)

So I skipped the mirror select, and I'm bootstrapping now ... I'll let you all know how it goes

cool, thanks!

it takes or f'in' ever, i swear :) did you do stage 1? i skipped to stage 2 since i'm using the AMD XP liveCD

well, i'm in the middle of building a completely gentoo system, but i had issues w/my SiS900 on-board NIC. so i stuck in the 3com card i had laying around, but at my school you have to register your MAC address to get internet access, so i'm currnetly waiting for them to change the address i have registered. 2 business days, they say. and with all this snow we just got (in PA), it might take a bit longer :-(