speedtouch 330 and mandriva 2006 power pack

confused

Hi all

As with others I am having problems with my speedtouch 330 since I have upgraded to 2006. I initially tried the package that comes with the distro but that did not connect to the web. I then used the tried and test method of steve parkers script (25.12.2005) and rev4fw.zip (after removing the speedtouch package). The script ran nicely but would not load on boot up. Then after some trawelling the net I tried the 16.10.2005 rather than the25.12.2005, but I have exactly the same problem. I have also looked at the steve-parker method using the extractor (but could not work out how to run the extractor).

I have done some searching around the speedtouchconf. sh file, Control centre services, etc and have noted the following;

- services: Netplugged is not on, should it be? There is also no hotplugging service.

- When running the script I get the message DEVNAME not running-

- under the control centre: network manage connection under TCP/IP Protocol has none in the box.

- in the speedtouchconf.sh, there is a lot of red and specifically

if [ -z "${USB_TYPE}" ]; then

echo $"No USB Bus found or no Speed Touch modem found" | tee -a $LOGFILE

echo "-- start of /proc/bus/usb/devices --" >> $LOGFILE

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices >> $LOGFILE

echo "--end of /proc/bus/usb/devices --" >> $LOGFILE

exit 1

from provious install I know that this part is important.

can anyone help please.

I also have the Powerpack (download version) and the speedtouch (green frog) works intermittently. It did not work during installation, but after rebooting, I took down the firewall and reconfigured the connection and it worked! I then reset the firewall.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think I usually get another successful reboot out of it before it stops working. I repeat the procedure above, but now it doesn't reconnect until I reboot...

I thought the problem might relate to ipv6, which seems to be causing connection problems for others, but disabling it (with the following) doesn't help.

su
echo "alias net-pf-10 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
echo "alias ipv6 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf

Edit: I see a bug report has been raised.

Hi spinynorman

Thanks for the advice. After reading it I went back to the steve parker speedtouchconf site and reread his advice which said try the march 16th speedtouchconf because it was stable. And I now have a script that load on boot or at least start up. How I got there is a mystery and remarkable given that;

- I got rid of the previous version simply by removing to trashbin the directory and then set up another for the march one.

- the march one gave a message at the end that said could not load but try turning off the computer unplug the modem for a few moments, plug it in and reboot.

-I dispair ed so i did not say yes to set up at boot and deleted the directory

- I then rebooted after unplugging the modem and replugging it.

- to my utter surprise it booted upon starting the machine.

- then later when I restarted again it did not start at boot up

- so I tried the reboot trick again and this time it did not start at boot and appeared not to work when KDE came up, however, the harddrive continued to wheer for longer than usual and hay presto the icon showed that the modem was on line.

Thus, I have a working modem but absolutely no understanding of why it is doing so. I would have thought seeing I deleted the directory into which I untarred the speedtouch it would not work!!!!

Do you or anyone else have any explanation for what the hell is going on???? I am very pleased I have a working modem, but I would quiet like to know why.

Thank you for your help spinynorman

Confused (even more confused now)

Hi, confused. I'm pleased you got connected - I'm posting from Mandriva 10.0...  :sad:

From what you say, I appear to have been no help whatsoever.  I may have to try the Steve Parker method too.  :unsure:

Hi Spinynorman

I would say give it a go. this is the site: http://www.steve-parker.org/speedtouchconf/. It is worth reading the instructions carefully. I used these instruction for loading speedtouch in 2005 with no problems.