Video editing tool

ilia_kr

Perhaps you could get some clues what is it exactly that avidemux writes by issuing a command

tcprobe -i testmovie.avi

You can also start avidemux from command line (it is calles avidemux2) and see whether it is complaining at anything. You can do the same with kaffeine, just to be sure.

As far as I remember, avidemux comes with own copy of transcode, so it should not be dependent on external codecs (you player may be, though).

Thanks for your help :thumbs: I installed the 'transcode' package and ran tcprobe against an original file, straight out of the camera, without modification:

[tcprobe] RIFF data, AVI video
[avilib] V: 20.000 fps, codec=MJPG, frames=401, width=160, height=120
[avilib] A: 11024 Hz, format=0x01, bits=8, channels=1, bitrate=88 kbps,
[avilib]	21 chunks, 221032 bytes, CBR
[tcprobe] summary for testoriginal.avi, (*) = not default, 0 = not detected
import frame size: -g 160x120 [720x576] (*)
   frame rate: -f 20.000 [25.000] frc=0 (*)
  audio track: -a 0 [0] -e 11024,8,1 [48000,16,2] -n 0x1 [0x2000] (*)
			   bitrate=88 kbps
	   length: 401 frames, frame_time=50 msec, duration=0:00:20.050

Then I ran avidemux against it, cropped off a few seconds from the start, saved and ran tcprobe again - everything looked the same except the number of frames (now smaller) and the chunks (much bigger):

[avilib]	291 chunks, 160000 bytes, CBR

Xine didn't print out anything meaningful for either file, but avidemux2 itself spat out lots and lots of things like this when playing either file:

**PKTZ:READ ERROR
Wav Packetizer: running empty, last packet sent
EditorPacket:Read failed; retrying
EditorPacket : End of *last* stream
read failed, end of stream ?
Pkt : incoming buffer empty
EditorPacket:Read failed; retrying
EditorPacket : End of *last* stream
read failed, end of stream ?

** end stream **

Error reading audio stream...

End met (296  / 297 )

But that seems due to audio errors at the end of the file, and doesn't affect playback of the original with xine or kaffeine or mplayer. Tried it with several avi's from this camera, all with the same errors. After cropping and saving, only avidemux and mplayer can play the video, but kaffeine and xine no longer can :screwy:

• 11 months later...

neddie sorry to resurect topic

How are you doing with film editing? What is your experience?

Here Using cinerella 2.1 cvs (the plf version for mdv2007)

Was not working well at all (crashing all the time until I decided to use it as root).

I work from avi 30 fps 1 ch audio 320*240 (camera) converted into dvd compliant mpeg2 25 fps (still 1 ch I think) 576*420 AFAICR with mencoder

I can get the clips into cinerella and play around a bit but I cannot export to quicktime linux or avi without getting file 10x bigger than the original mpeg2 (something to do with video bitrate)

and I have similar problems in playing these exported files in mplayer, kplayer or whatever (anyhow there are too big files to be all right!)

I wanted to use mpeg container in cinerella but it says sound cannot be included. What is the point: I am not going to remix sound and video with mplex. <end rant>

Am I missing something in the use of cinerella?

Avidemux2 works fine with same files, but it is not an editor in the sense of cinerella.

I'm trying to find a package too, and had no luck with kino. Same problem of not being able to import avi's, yet it supposedly can. :unsure:

I've installed one called pitivi, but can't seem to get it to work either.

How are you doing with film editing? What is your experience?
Sorry I can't help much, my experience is still zero and I never did get any further. I figured maybe it's to do with the wacky format my camera records in, or maybe the applications I'm using aren't quite there yet, or maybe I just haven't got a clue, but whichever way I left it on one side and haven't tried anything new since. And I don't know what else to try either, sorry.

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry to hear you made no progress

20.000 fps, codec=MJPG

maybe you could try mencoder to convert camera files before editing?

mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf scale=720:576, harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video: vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:acodec=ac3:abitrate=1

92:aspect=4/3 -ofps 25 -o movie.mpg movie.avi

I've used MainActor for a couple of weeks now and it works very well, except that I can't get it to import video from my mini-DV cam. But I use Kino to import the video and then open the imported video files in Mainactor which is quite good for video editing.

It does cost $199 though, but there is a demo version if you'll like test it out.

http://www.mainconcept.com/site/?id=954

Jahshaka is another possibility

Here is what I read on another forum, so worth a try but with

not too high expectations

<<I've used Jahshaka and you're right. It does "look" interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't deliver. That's not to say that its concepts are not solid. If it did what it was supposed to do, it would be THE video editing app, not just for Linux but across all OSes. However, there are a number of areas where it just doesn't work as advertised. Check through the forums and you will find a large number of posts from people who aren't the usual bitchers and moaners but are legitimately concerned about the multiple failures of a product with so much promise.>>

One drawback is that the demo is for suse or debian

so one needs to test the suse 10.2 rpm and see if it is compatible with mandy 2007 / 2007.1

I'm using it on Mandriva 2007 and as I said it works pretty well, (although if I remember correct they had a Mandrake 10.1 version before which I used on Mandriva 2007)