Video editing tool

ilia_kr

PLF has RPMs of it, so there is no need to download the source code and recompile. I've had some bitter experience recompiling their source code - one who developed their makefiles deserves some sophisticated inquisition torture. That's not to mention that the code compilation gets sorely broken with each new gcc release - it's just full of "dirty tricks".

PLF has RPMs of it, so there is no need to download the source code and recompile.

Yes it does, but for MDK 10.0, i use 10.1

Will it work for me too?

ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...9-1plf.i586.rpm

This is PLF cinelerra package for 10.1. If you want some newer version, just recompile the correspondent PLF SRPM - it's a lot easier than recompiling the original source code.

• 3 months later...

Bump! :D

I'm looking for some very simple editing features, just to tinker with some avis recorded by my Ixus camera. I can play these clips no problem (including sound) with Kaffeine, Xine and mplayer, they're in motion jpeg format I believe. So what I'd like to do is tinker with them a bit, for example: cropping off the beginning and end; joining clips together, resizing, simple stuff like that. It would be cool if I could play with fancier tricks like fades, slow motions and so on but any kind of editing would be a start.

So I tried Cinelerra (can't play the clips, can only play distorted sound), and then Kino (can't open them) and then Kdenlive (can't seem to do _anything_ with them). The closest I've got is with mencoder which appears to be able to do conversions from the cli, and even appeared to convert it to an mpeg4 file (I was thinking that might be able to be read and edited by something else), but the resulting file is unplayable by anything.

Can anyone offer any tips? I don't have a clue about all these video formats and the man page for mplayer/mencoder is gargantuan.

I use avidemux for that purpose. That's a GUI tool.

It can recode/requantise to another format/container, do basic noise reduction, rotate, add a sound track, cut and append clips. There is a mandriva package for it on PLF, but unfortunately it depends on firefox-1.0.6, so you'll have to workaround that.

I got avidemux installed, and it looks almost exactly what I was looking for - I can crop and append the clips and then save the result in various formats. Unfortunately, whatever I try, the file can't be played by either Xine or Kaffeine - am I doing something wrong? The file plays within avidemux (apart from repeated crashes), is it possible that I'm missing some recompression software? I've tried Format as AVI and MPEG, and the Video setting as Copy, Mpeg4 (lavc) and Xvid4, but each time I get a file with audio but no video. Any clues?

I was even debating exporting each frame as jpeg and then trying to put them all back together into a video, but then I've lost the sound...