compiling nvidia on vanilla kernel 2.6.14 [solved]

richard-gt

I just upgraded my kernel to the vanilla kernel 2.6.14 (I had a gamepad that wasn't working with the Mandriva 2.6.12 in 2006). Now, the gamepad works, but I'm having trouble getting the NVIDIA modules to compile. I try running the build script, but at the end I get an error message that it couldn't load the module. So, I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to do anything to the /usr/include/linux or the /usr/include/asm* directories to make sure that the headers match the new kernel? I updated the /usr/src/linux symlink to point to /usr/src/linux-2.6.14.(forgot the subversion) already.

2. Do I need to somehow clear out the NVIDIA modules build for the old kernel? After previous kernel upgrades, I've had problems recompiling the same NVIDIA modues and have had to download a newer version which compiled without problems. Unfortunately, my older graphics card has been declared a "legacy" card by NVIDIA, and they have dropped support for it in any newer versions.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by richard-gt

As I recall the nvidia installation readme says you will have to uninstall what you have and then re-install after the kernel change.

Nope. Recompiling the module would suffice.

I'd be pretty much interested to see the exact error message produced by the kernel. I remember several discussions at some Nvidia Linux forum regarding a compiler signature conflict, i.e. kernel is signed "blah blah blah gcc so-and-so blah blah blah custom blah blah blah", whereas the very same "custom" word is completely absent from the nvidia module signature.

Edited by chalex20