FreeBSD 6.0: Nvidia driver

When I get the Nvidia driver from ports, it will not install because it was made against a different glib than what the system is currently running. The system tells me to either uninstall and install the newer glib or force an install of the new one.

Is there a mass update that I can run? I think this particular lib is inherently used in X, and will no doubt need to update all my X related stuff.

The xorg.conf looks slightly different than my Mandriva xorg.conf. Specifically, my monitor is running at too high a resolution. Does the enrty "virtual 1024 768" made in the monitor section work for esablishing resolution? Changing the values on "veiw 0 0" does nothing to correct the issue.

My wireless keyboard works well, but the mouse is not sensative enough. But I am certain ths is a minor issue.

kde and gnome are rendered better in this than either PC-BSD or Desktop BSD.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1...book/ports.html

I use portsnap to update your tree

# portsnap fetch
# portsnap extract
# portsnap fetch update

Then I use portupgrade to upgrade them all,

# portupgrade -arR

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1...ndbook/x11.html

Your initial xorg.conf is a guess, you can always save it if most things are working and either create a brand new one, or just edit the values in the other one, either case, make a backup if it is there ;)

My ports snapshot was corrupt! And as I tried to repair the files that it claimed were bad while installing firefox and Nvidia drivers, the system stopped responding. It would not boot back up. Hmmm..... Perhaps it is better to install a basic system and then use ports to get the rest? Like X and kde?

Well after changing the "vga" driver to "nv" in the xorg.conf I was able to load a desktop.

After trying 3 mice here. Two the exact same ps/2 opticals and a usb optical (none worked, or I couldn't get them to work) I traded with the neighbor for a Memorex ball mouse and it worked fine.

Still would like to get kdm to load at boot and gonna have to work on the sound also.

Here is a screeny doing a "portupgrade -arR"

Oh yea, what do I do with all those dir. in my /home that I didn't make?

:cheeky:

Edited by FX

Yea I know about the wall paper. :D

Dirs, 4, 6, and, by, can, console, cut, daemon, disable, in, mouse, past, Port, port, r, Select, text, the, and You. Those are not the hidden dir. either.

I know I want to belong to more groups than "wheel" also, but not sure on the command and what ones. I believe it would be the audio, cdrom, games, groups, but aren't there a couple of more?

I will work on the wallpaper too, just need to use a different browswer beside konq. lol (waiting for the portupgrade to finish. Been watching a movie. :D )

Looks like you did some kind of mkdir to a sentence or something, no idea what those are. If you do an ls -l and there are no links or any files in them, just blow them out. Or if your supper paranoid,

tar cvf stuff.tar <dir1> <dir2> blah blah && rm -fr di1 dir1 blah blah

http://www.bsdnexus.com/wallpapers.htm <--some *bsd wallpapers, i got some cool ones some were else to but can't find it atm.

Well opened all the dirs in konq and there is nothing in them. So i think I'll .tar them all or just get rid of the. I didn't do any mkdir so not sure where they came from. lol

So we gonna get a "FreeBSD Review" sticky like we have with Fedora and Ubuntu? :cheesy:

I know there have been some looking at playing with a different O.S. (LiquidZoo being one of them.) This would be a good one to play with, I think.

I agree, I should do a review, but I forget what some new to it might need sometimes so it makes it hard :)

shadowfox has been running bsd for a couple years now, i think, so............

I just didn't find it that interesting tell 6.0