Unable to connect to the internet using 2006

aperahama

I had a look at previous posts but I can't find anything similar.

I have had Mandrake 10.1 installed and running no problem. When I installed Mandriva 2006 I can not make a working connection to the Internet.

In Man 10.1 my dial up modem runs at about 5.1-5.4 KB/s, when using 2006 it won't even load things like the goggle home page. When I tried to call up web sites as root I get the message Time out on server. During the network set up there is the option to test your connection which, this tells me that a connection with the net is made. (I had the same problem with 2005LE but decided to simply wait for 2006). Back to using 10.1 for now.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You really need to tell us what modem you have or what chipset. Have you confirmed the modem is present in harddrake? I would be tempted to set it up again in a running system, thru harddrake.

Thanks for your reply Ixthusdan.

You were right, the modem was not present in the hardware list. I took your advise and set it up again. Under the information window is; "Old device file: /dev//dev/ttyS1" During the Network & Internet Configuration set up the Modem is configured as "CIR|56K External Modem[CL] (/dev/ttyS1)" All these settings are the same as I have in 10.1

Unfortunately the connection is made but its sooooooo sloooooow (see attachment).

The Modem I have is Swan 56K V90 External Modem. A hardware report from a windoes program describes it as "Hardware ID

SERENUM\CIR3100"

post-1290-1134162961_thumb.jpg