How do I login as root?

Guest armando2002

Guest armando2002

This probably sounds like a dumb question, but I can't figure out how to login as root. I'm running the KDE desktop, and have searched the forums and the Mandriva help system and can't figure out how to set my bootup screen to allow a root login. I just want to be able to configure Xfree and my ATI drivers.

You could choose the "Failsafe" option from your boot menu. This will take you to runlevel 1 as the root user (command line, no network). From there you can run XFdrake, the ATI driver install and config commands, etc.

If you need network support, you can enter: init 3 (takes you to runlevel 3, which has the network started).

Alternatively, start up konsole (the KDE terminal program), at the prompt type

su

and then enter the root password, there you go yer logged in as root within that terminal session.

if you need to stop the x server use:

telinit 3

This will shut down the graphical interface and bring you to text-mode, and prompt you to login (type root then enter, etc)

To restart X (the GUI) you can

telinit 5

(Not sure if start x will work from init 3, neer tried it!)

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

It's not advisable to login as root. Just log in as your normal user. When you want to use root based commands, open a terminal and just type "su" and supply the root password when prompted, as everyone has said so far. This is the preferred method to use your system and get root privileges.

Using root for day-to-day stuff, is a security risk to your system.

That's one step in the process. See AussieJohn's post here for a full discussion of the problem:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=29116&hl=kdmrc

You have to get rid of the default kdm theme before your changes in Login Manager will work. The only way to do that is edit /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc per the above post from AussieJohn.