FreeBSD 6.x

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp I throw in the towel. You can only re-install so many times and do a portupgrade so many times. Its probably mostly O.E. (operator error) but I've done everything suggested that I know of and things still will not work right. Kind of sick of having my gaming computer unavailable to me. :D

On the last portupgrade firefox fails to start. XChat is at like 1.8 or something like that. Gnome is still 2.10. At the end of the portupgrade it like only upgraded 22 packages. Can't remember how many it didn't or ignored all together.

Cybr I'd still like to thank you for the help and suggestions though.

Thats cool, I used bsd off/on over the years and frustration was certainly part of it :)

I'm doing a lot of work on solaris10 and rh right now so i really should stop booting into bsd to play :)

Ok, so not being the type of person who likes to give up I found this.....

The ports collection (FreeBSD's package management system) is

installed into /usr/ports by ServePath. The first thing to do is

to make sure that the latest patch sets have been installed.

# cd /usr/ports

# cd sysutils/portmanager && make all install && cd /usr/ports

# cd sysutils/portsnap && make all install && cd

/usr/local/etc

# mv portsnap.conf.sample portsnap.conf && cd /usr/local/sbin

# ./portsnap fetch && ./portsnap extract

The above commands will install two programs, portmanager, and

portsnap. These programs update the installed applications and

uninstalled sources, respectively. These two programs work

together in keeping FreeBSD up to date.

In order to apply the updated patch sets, execute the below:

# /usr/local/sbin/portsnap fetch

# /usr/local/sbin/portsnap update

In order to upgrade the installed applications, execute:

# /usr/local/sbin/portmanager -u

It is updating now and I'll see what I have after its done. :D

Welp let see....

After doing the update firefox still will not start because it is missing some lib*. Not sure what one. (I thought BSD had NO dependency problems when installing a program?)

Gnome fails during "make install clean"

XChat is at like 1.8 something. (I thought that portmanager -u or even portsnap -arR upgrades your system? )

I am at a complete lost. Ix how are you doing with this??? lol

I have been out of town on a mission trip to New Orleans. But, in reading the thread, I am going to try again. I have not been able to get FreeBSD to use either Firefox or Nvidia drivers. I did find that building the system was a bit nightmareish because I could do things without the necessary depends! I do not have the hang of it as yet.

I am trying your suggections. I already went around "uninstalling-reinstalling" to get the libs thing straight. There are at least 4 programs that apparently do not agree with the install disk and the current tree.

• 2 weeks later...

Well since I like self punishment I reinstalled again. So far I have done "portsnap fetch, extract" and thats it. Been kind of afraid to do the update thingy. I also removed the # in the /etc/portsnap.conf file.

As of right now I get a error from the ports when trying to install either the nvidia driver or mplayer.

gamer# pkg_add -r mplayer

Error: FTP Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i...st/mplayer.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)

pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/Latest/mplayer.tbz' by URL

gamer# pkg_add -r nvidia-driver

Error: FTP Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i...dia-driver.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)

pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.0-release/Latest/nvidia-driver.tbz' by URL

That is where I am at now.

well ran the gnome 2.12 install script and it failed. From what I gathered it failed because not all the packages updated with portupgrade. Here is a printout from the failure starting with the errors.

[updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 203 packages found (-1 +0) (...) done]

---> Installing the new version via the port with make flags: BATCH=yes GNOME_UPGRADE_SH_VER=2.12-3 DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=1

===> Installing for xterm-206_1

===> xterm-206_1 conflicts with installed package(s):

xorg-clients-6.8.2

They install files into the same place.

Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xterm.

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xterm.

** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portupgrade9032.3 make BATCH=yes GNOME_UPGRADE_SH_VER=2.12-3 DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=1 reinstall

egrep: /var/db/pkg/xterm-203/+CONTENTS: No such file or directory

---> Restoring the old version

** Fix the installation problem and try again.

[updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 204 packages found (-0 +1) . done]

---> Skipping 'x11/xorg-clients' (xorg-clients-6.8.2) because a requisite package 'xterm-203' (x11/xterm) failed (specify -k to force)

** Listing the failed packages (*:skipped / !:failed)

! x11-toolkits/qt33 (qt-3.3.4) (unknown build error)

! x11/xterm (xterm-203) (install error)

* x11/xorg-clients (xorg-clients-6.8.2)

---> Packages processed: 2 done, 0 ignored, 1 skipped and 2 failed

INFO: GNOME upgrade FAILED at Tue Jan 10 06:39:00 CST 2006

gamer#