FreeBSD 6.x

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you run the gnome script to upgrade it removes the old gnome and kde so at this point and time I don't have a desktop enviroment. Reinstalling either gnome2 or kde gives me a boat load of errors because of packages are not up to date.

Right now I am in console and I ran portupgrade -arR again and it came back with "Packages processed: 3 done, 216 ignored, 2 skipped and 2 failed.

Not sure what Iam doing wrong, but I guess I hosed something up. :(

wonder why it would remove kde, very odd.

Welp, if you want to reinstall, might be easier at this point, once it is install, use portsnap, then install kde/gnome whatever else,

Oh if you go that route, backup your xorg.conf :)

and your rc.conf

I have found a problem with glib in this release. I t has glib2.8.4 but programs claim to need glib20. If I install from the disks, and then set up ports, I get several related errors dealing with glib. It needs to be reinstalled, along with several other related files. Deinstall, reinstall. Interestingly, both pcbsd and desktopbsd behave the same way. I tried to set up ports on a minimal install and then install all I needed but I am missing somehthing I need because the compile just stops at some ponint. I still have not gotten it running the way I want it.

I have found a problem with glib in this release. I t has glib2.8.4 but programs claim to need glib20. If I install from the disks, and then set up ports, I get several related errors dealing with glib. It needs to be reinstalled, along with several other related files. Deinstall, reinstall. Interestingly, both pcbsd and desktopbsd behave the same way. I tried to set up ports on a minimal install and then install all I needed but I am missing somehthing I need because the compile just stops at some ponint. I still have not gotten it running the way I want it.

What was the error you recieved, I've been keeping mine updated since I installed it. Might have ran into similar stuff but don't remember :lol:

Currently installing Gnome-2.13.2 ;)

Well I have done an re-install and I did choose "All" packages this time. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I did anyways.

Installation seems to be a breeze the second time around. Not very much to it at all. I did hack my xorg.conf and got that working. I did hack my rc.conf too and that was a real joy. lol. Seems as though I left out a " mark and it hung on boot. I was in #freebsd and they were trying to help me but nothing they suggested worked. They were on the right track but no go. So I did some googling and I found the answer. Just typed in "bad rc.conf in freebsd" and bingo there was the page I was looking for that delt exactly with that. Showed my the right "mount" commands and I was able to fix it.

After the install I started to install gnome2 in hopes that it would be 2.12 but watchin the packages go by, I notice that it wouldn't be so I "ctl c" out of it. Then I did the portsnap stuff and portupgrade but this time only with the values of "-arRvPP" which I guess is just suppose to download packages instead of compiling everything. Well it didn't take long and at the end I noticed that nothing was really upgraded or installed, so I ended up using the -arR value and now it is compiling. Only thing is with having to answer questions and me being at work while it is waiting or an answer it is gonna take awhile. lol

I'll try to do a "pkg_add -r gnome2" when it is done and see what comes up. Hopefully I'll get it right this time.

I've been reading a little cybr and from I have been reading is that "portupgrade" will only update 3rd party packages and not the system or userland itself. In order to do that I/we have to do "cvsup". Is that so?

Man I get nothing but errors when I try to pkg_add either gnome or kde. Getting kind of fustrating.

Are we missing anything with the portsnap stuff? I mean I basically installed off the cd choosing "all"packages as I stated earlier, and then ran the "portsnap", "portupgrade" command right away and I still get a boat load of errors. Starting to get pretty darn fustrating.

"Edit" I choose a ftp install rather than the cd's. Made it easier than chaning out the cd's all the time.

Edited by FX

um, I might have forgot to tell you to edit /etc/portsnap.conf

see if your PORTSDIR=/usr/ports is commented out, making sure that it is updating the correct ports. One of the ways to tell after a portsnap update is check out something like

vi /usr/ports/x11/gnome2/Makefile

You should see version 2.12.2, if you see that then you know that it is updating the ports tree.

I am having similar difficulties. If I do a default install from the cd's. I get a gui system. But then I start adding from ports and it hoses. Firefox froxe during compiling, and I have to "deinstall, reinstall" several packages: atk, glib20, bono, I didn't write them all down. But I'll check out the edit. I did adjust x with edits, but nvidia's driver will not run. The system bails and reboots!!

Just to make sure.....

If that is commented out uncomment it right???

Ok I looked in the gnome2 file in ports and I have 2.12. now tech. I should be able to do a "pkg_add -r gnome2" and get gnome 2.12 right??

Oh yea I didn't do the "portupgrade -arR" thing though.

Edited by FX

Just to make sure.....

If that is commented out uncomment it right???

Ok I looked in the gnome2 file in ports and I have 2.12. now tech. I should be able to do a "pkg_add -r gnome2" and get gnome 2.12 right??

Oh yea I didn't do the "portupgrade -arR" thing though.

Yes, uncomment it. If your at gnome-2.12 then I would say you are updated on your ports :)