Gentoo vs Slackware [solved]

I spent the last three days trying to get Slackware working with a 2.6 kernel, and had nothing but problems. Be it boot errors with Linux EBDA or something, or it just failing for whatever reason.

So I figured, I'd build Gentoo on the system, and got it working successfully in less than half a day.

However, my colleague says we should be using Slackware because Gentoo isn't stable?!?

I have a feeling that it's personal preferences. What's your thoughts? (and try not to make it personal!! :P )

paul@asmith ~ $ uname -a

Linux asmith 2.4.27 #1 Sat Aug 14 00:57:00 NZST 2004 i686 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

paul@asmith ~ $ uptime

21:35:47 up 199 days,  8:49,  1 user,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

paul@asmith ~ $

I've got gentoo on my desktop aswell (which I had to take to work today)

Which has 2.6 something something

I just tried another install of Slack using the test26.i kernel that comes with it. I'm also trying to configure raid, so installed to /dev/sdb as per the raid document I have, but what a surprise grub failed for some reason.

Now trying the sata.i kernel for 2.4, so will see how I go. I have to recompile the kernel anyway, as I need support for 2GB of RAM.

What kernel is best for Slack, 2.4 or should I go for 2.6? I'm forced to use this because of what my work are telling me. But gentoo worked a piece of cake in a few hours.

It's probably user error on my part for Slack :P

I've got 2.6.14.3 kernel downloaded, so will have a go at installing that a little later on. Currently installing with the 2.4 kernel.

Gentoo built really quickly and easily in less than half a day, and showed it was working, but they want Slackware. Hey ho.

My main reason for the post was to find out if Gentoo is unstable, or is it just someone's preference to Slackware.

Well, I tried with Slackware today, and couldn't get the mirroring of the drives to work in a Raid 1 setup. But I had proved this morning, I could do it with Gentoo.

The system is in the middle of another Gentoo install, as I demonstrated that Slackware just wasn't going to work for this task. I explained I'd done it with Gentoo, so now we have Gentoo :P

Most of the linux distros can be called stable as long as you don't run a crazy version like rawhide or cooker on your server you should be fine ;)

That said, If it was a server at work, your not getting support for by the looks of it (gentoo vs. slackware) I personally would go with centos.org, freebsd or solaris 10, but that is just me 8)

;)

[justin@tank ~]$ uptime
15:10:15 up 103 days, 21:27,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
[justin@tank ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.2 (Final)

This doesn't beat pauls, but the hardware was put together 103 days ago, you do the math :deal:

Edited by cybrjackle

Quite right... most distros are rock stable once they are set up correctly and not fed with "bleeding edge" stuff. One of the most amazing statistics for servers is this one:

http://en.uptime-project.net/page.php?page...7f489371c556ac1

(Uptime: 3y 27d 15h 52m 00s) :D

• 2 months later...