is SMART on mandriva just for cooker?

aioshin

why is it that the default channel of smart pointed to cooker... ???

this should not be like this, since when you accidentally used the smart update then upgrade, it will upgrade directly to cooker.. even in my 2005, when I tried smart, the same thing happen.. it goes directly to cooker.... and when I follow the easyurpmi page and select the smart instead of urpmi option .. it just gave me errors after adding thouse channels.. I think this was the cause of the other post here that he wants his 2006 downgrade from cooker....

Edited by aioshin

I'd agree, it's bizarre that it's pre-configured for Cooker. Urpmi doesn't come configured with anything after installation, other than the CD media. So no idea why the same approach hasn't been taken with smart?!?

Certainly odd :P

Easy urpmi has tools to set up Smart channels just like it has for urpmi channels. In the drop down box change urpmi to smart and select the 2006 repositories and off you go. I'd use the compressed index for main, contrib, and jpackage though for speed reasons.

Why is everyone afraid of the cooker, currently it's basically 2006 with KDE 3.5 and all the updates, so now is a pretty good time to upgrade your box if you want a 2006 working KDE 3.5 box. Don't fear the cooker, while there are some applications that can go crazy, the fear surrounding the cooker is mostly hype.

Why is everyone afraid of the cooker, currently it's basically 2006 with KDE 3.5 and all the updates, so now is a pretty good time to upgrade your box if you want a 2006 working KDE 3.5 box. Don't fear the cooker, while there are some applications that can go crazy, the fear surrounding the cooker is mostly hype.

Not afraid with cooker, Its just that, what if 2006 has been installed on a production environment... ? cooker is not for this place, since it needs a system that does not break...

well, it can be installed on a desktop that will serve as answering machine on what really is 2006, those that it boots very fast, that it has the latest kernel, that it has kat on it....

I think the information given by easy-urpmi for the SMART settup is not correct.

For the hdlurl= parameter one must give the complete URL.

not:

hdlurl=media_info/hdlist.cz

but:

hdlurl=ftp://ftp.caliu.info/pub/distribucions/mandrake/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/media_info/hdlist.cz

Regards,

Luc

The information given here under easy-urpmi is not correct, at least not for Mandriva. Obviously the powers that be here need to modify the information that "easy-smart" is giving.

Modifying the CLI as you stated does set up the channels, now how does one setup multiple mirrors? Isn't that one of the features that it touts as an improvement over urpmi/MCC?

The information given here under easy-urpmi is not correct, at least not for Mandriva.  Obviously the powers that be here need to modify the information that "easy-smart" is giving.

Our EasyUrpmi is merely a mirror of easyurpmi.zarb.org. I suggest you contact trem@zarb.org to report any errors, as requested on the EasyUrpmi page. :)