Help: Which Madwifi module(s) do I need?

Guest tirediron

Guest tirediron

Okay, I stumped up the $$ for the Mandriva Club (mostly 'cause I'm lazy). The first thing I downloaded was "Madwifi" in the hope of getting my Atheros wireless card working. I downloaded and installed (Using the "Install software tool") madwifi-0.20050829-3mdk and madwifi-kernel-2.6.12-12mdk-0.20050829-1mdk. When I tried to configure my card, I got the error message: "Some packages (madwifi-kernel) are required but aren't available.....

So, did I download the correct .rpms? If not, which ones do I need? Is there something I'm missing altogether? Thanks!

• 9 months later...

Hey dude , Ur not the only one having that problem , did u manage to maybe dl the tarballl from sourceforge . i compiled it and the wifi works . i still get the same error tho .

are you running the free version ?

Madwifi, at best, is beta, at least according to everytime I've looked at trying to get it working.

I have an Atheros chipset in my laptop for wifi, I use ndiswrapper. It works a treat, madwifi never, ever worked for me. This is your best bet.

First, do:

urpme madwifi

then:

urpmi ndiswrapper

after this, google for ndiswrapper wiki and follow the install guide from:

ndiswrapper -i filename.inf

replacing filename.inf with the driver.inf file for your card. Also, check the ndiswrapper database first with your chipset info, and lspci info, so that you can ensure the best driver to work with your card and ndiswrapper.

After this, add:

ndiswrapper

to /etc/modprobe.preload to make sure that ndiswrapper activates the connection each time your machine is rebooted, and you're done. Unless of course you're using encryption, then use wpa_supplicant, or whatever your other chosen method is.

i also have the G650 , i try and send it but then the dammn thing rolls back to the previous menu .

where can i find the drivers for ndiswrapper

oh ive got a couple of drivers for it in the dlink / program files windows folder , would they work?

All you need is here:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawi...x.php/Main_Page

List of cards and drivers:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

And install guide:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawi...hp/Installation

just continue in the guide as I mentioned in my post before.

It shouldn't matter whether you use Free or Powerpack, if you're compiling it. Also, installing madwifi, should install all the necessary dependencies anyway if you use the Mandriva packages.

Madwifi works very well for me when compiled from source. I'm using kernel 2.6.11-6mdksmp in LE2005, aka mdk 10.2. The rpms worked as well but only in station(sta) mode. I wouldn't try to use the mandriva control center configuration tools on it, however. After installing the drivers , whether through rpm or source, what output do you get with:

# modprobe ath_pci

# ifconfig