Review: Mandrake Linux 9.1 Beta 3

ladislav

The gui is improved in beta3. I am still deciding about the changes in the install process. It does run much faster (the install) but I missed the expert option the first time I installed it. I think the gui's in general are running faster, but I do not know if it is a result of kde or the new Xfree86.

I tried to install the new Gnome2 from the cd's on my restored 9.0, but it wants to hose Xfree, Glibc, and some other programs that would entail replacing the system. I am sure that Gnome2 does not depend on the latest Xfree release. It is a little irritating when the rpm's of cooker only work with each other. :wink:

I've definitely noticed that ML 9.1B3 is faster than previous ML releases.

I was beginning to have issues with XMMS crashing in KDE 3 on ML9. No such problems on 9.1.

I update Moz to 1.3 Beta yesterday and had no issues. I have had issues in the past with Updates in ML. But then again I'm still pretty n00b.

I'm extremely pleased with this release. I'll definitely be getting my Power Pack after the final release.

The only real issue with the Beta I've noticed is that not all of the config files work yet. But I'm predominitely just a surf & mail type anyway so it makes little diff. to me.