Gonna give this a try...

FX

Well on the desktop here it seems as though it will not install. I get a pmap_mapdev, can't alloc kernel memory error.

I did throw the cd into a little old IBM laptop I have and it is installing. Not sure how the wireless card is going to work though.

Cybr hope you see then and can maybe shed some light on my error.

I installed it on my main box with wireless keyboard and mouse. The weirdness might be the wireless stuff. I have to click everything twice in order to engage the wireless transmission, which is a little annoying! But I have never ran a bsd flavor, so I need to play with it.

Sorry, I missed your pm on irc, i was busy :)

I haven't tried any of the other bsd, only free/net/open bsd and currently running freebsd on my box now.

If you have the time to sit down and just do FreeBSD 6.0, I would. Yes, you can play et/ut/armyops just fine :)

I should have posted a review of freebsd 6 here, but I've been running it on my main box for a month now and love it. Might have forgot everything I've done to it.

:headbang:

bsd is interesting. I load it like a windows partition in lilo, that is, it chainloads instead of a standard linux type load. But I can't mount it for browsing in Mandriva. What is the file format? Mandriva says freebsd, but that is an unknown file type in fstab.

bsd is interesting. I load it like a windows partition in lilo, that is, it chainloads instead of a standard linux type load. But I can't mount it for browsing in Mandriva. What is the file format? Mandriva says freebsd, but that is an unknown file type in fstab.

ufs or ufs2

If its 6.0 its ufs2 I think the 5.x was also ufs2, but I would imagine that ufs module would also read it.

[root@kainos ~]# modprobe ufs
[root@kainos ~]# lsmod | grep ufs
ufs                    70597  0
[root@kainos ~]#

If you get time, google around google.com/linux and google.com/bsd to make sure there isn't a ufs2 module out there and make sure you can r/w if that is what you need, I don't know if it is "experimental" or not.

Edited by cybrjackle

Welp desktopBSD gives me the same pmap_mapdev error. :(

Doesn't look like I'll be running BSD on here.

I'm not sure if desktopbsd boots the same way with kernel options as free does, but I would imagine it does.

If your given the choice, choose, option 2 to disable ACPI and see if that helps, from what I can find.

www.google.com/bsd

is that it might have to do with acpi, but that was a quick search I'm in a class for work.

:)

Update:

Just load DesktopBSD on a little old IBM laptop with a pcmcia Netgear wireless card in it. All I had to do was open up the gui setup and then put in the right ip addies for my network and bingo online. :D

Just might load this on my laptop. :D