planning to reinstall Mandriva

mada726

Hey there,

I'm planning to install Mandriva 2006 on my computer after my long absence from using Mandriva 2005 Limited Edition on my computer system. The reason of that is I had installed Mandriva on my dual-boot Windoze XP Pro SP2 system and tried it out a little. I had removed it off the system after my lack of interest in the operating system. My computer is listed as the following:

- Intel D850GB Mainboard

- Intel Pentium 4 CPU at 1.4GHz

- 120GB Western Digital 7200RPM, 8MB Cache hard drive (currently occupied by Windoze XP)

- 30GB Quantum Maxtor 7200RPM, 2Mb cache hard drive (currently vacant)

- LG 16X DVD-ROM (equiv. to 48x max CD-ROM)

- LG 16X Dual-Layer DVD CD burner

- Nvidia RIVA TNT2 AGP video card at 32MB

- Intergrated Intel Sound

- Intergrated Intel 10/100 networking

- ATI TV Wonder VE PCI video card

My install of Mandriva in my opinion, won't happen until I completely reformat my Windoze's hard drive and reorganize it into separate partitions on my drive.

The proposed configuration for the 120GB being split into partitions goes as follows:

15GB for Windoze and programs (formatted in NTFS or VFAT aka FAT32)

65GB for downloads, music files, photos, etc. (formatted in NTFS)*

* I may have the option to split into different segments for each of the files consist of those listed above for the 65GB proposed partition (and formatting it into NTFS or VFAT)

Anyway, I've already downloaded the ISO images for the distro, but yet to burn it on the CD. I verified with the md5sums and they are all correct. One question, when I downloaded one of the images from the mirror, I had realised that there's a "mini" and a "live" distro. Can you give me a clear explaination what does the two mean?

The biggest hurdle for me is the ability to read to an NTFS partition whenever I run Linux. Is the latest distro have the capability to read NTFS partitions? I also understand that it cannot write to one (except with the VFAT partition).

Also, how do I install certain applications (such as Realplayer, Firewall, Antivirus) whenever I'm in Mandriva?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The biggest hurdle for me is the ability to read to an NTFS partition whenever I run Linux. Is the latest distro have the capability to read NTFS partitions? I also understand that it cannot write to one (except with the VFAT partition).

The default install can already give you read access to ntfs partition, write access, if you search on this forum, all you get is to have a vfat partition since ntfs support is not that stable yet (write access)

Also, how do I install certain applications (such as Realplayer, Firewall, Antivirus) whenever I'm in Mandriva?

Realplayer, there's a realplayer for linux... http://www.real.com/linux?pcode=rn&src=fre...eplayer_partner

you can just download the rpm and manually install it, you can also install the helixplayer ( https://player.helixcommunity.org/ ) in your Mandrake Control center - software manager

Firewall.. 2006 hat already an interactive firewall, during install, you will be ask to enable or configure it, so it has already on the package...

Antivirus.. I'm not sure since have not installed it yet... eh.. try clamav, it can be found (am not sure which) on several mandriva repositories.. main,contrib, update

or try to visit http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/installmdv2006.html

it has lots of mandriva tips and info

Edited by aioshin

You really don't need antivirus on linux. There are many threads on this board fully discussing this issue. In a *nix environment, antivirus software is almost exclusively used in a network setting to scan for windows viruses to protect windows users on the network.

All linux distros except redhat/fedorah can read ntfs partitions. Rh is very conservative on patent issues and refuses to enable ntfs read support in their kernel by default for purely legal, rather than technical reasons. Everyone else has it enabled. As noted above NTFS is read only in linux.

Mandrake comes with a firewall called shorewall. You can graphically configure shorewall in the mandrake control center.

As for plugins,

Is there a media player (for playing audio/video) and/or Quicktime plug in for linux? I'm just wondering. Can anyone clarify for me?

• 2 weeks later...

for streaming media there is the mplayer-plugin, which lets you watch wmv, real and quicktime in mozilla-firefox, real has its own realplayer (afaik this can be configured as browser-plugin too), if you want a wmv and quicktime capable media-player, you can install the mplayer-gui (mplayer itself will be installed if you use mplayer-plugin), totem or kaffeine (they are frontends for xine) or xine with xine-ui and the xine-win32-codecs from the plf-repository

• 3 months later...

I've been thinking on this issue for some time and I greatly apologise that this thread has been "bumped". Now, I'm considering to migrate all of data from Windoze and planning to upgrade my system into a full Mandriva system. The problem is, I have a DVD burner (in this case, I have an LG GSA-4163 Dual-layer DVD burner) and I want to put all of my data from Windoze into the Mandriva environment. It's like migrating from one Operating System into another. I want to backup my data from Windoze and then migrate it into the Mandriva environment. If I were to install Mandriva first (on one hard drive) and then Windoze (on the second hard drive), how do I configure my boot settings? I know it's a little easy if I install Windoze first, then Mandriva last.

I also want to know if there are any applications for Linux that can:

- Backup/Restore data in case of a computer crash

- Play music (mp3s, m4as) and video (wmv, avi, mpg, etc.)

- Play my old skool DOS games

- Enabling me to run Windoze applications within the X environment

- Creating data CDs, audio CDs, copying CDs, bootable CDs

- Bitorrent

- Watch DVD Movies

I never actually installed Linux applications on a Linux environment in my entire life before.

I also have my hardware peripherals that I want to run seamlessly in Mandriva. They are:

- My M$ wireless keyboard and mouse combo

- My ATI Remote Wonder remote control

- ATI TV Wonder VE PCI TV Tuner Card

- My Creative Webcam GO Plus Webcam

- My USB 4-port hub (non-powered)

- My Canon Canoscan FB320P Scanner

- My Epson Stylus C64 Colour Inkjet printer

Any advice you people can give to me? Please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you.

Edited by mada726

- Backup/Restore data in case of a computer crash

- Play music (mp3s, m4as) and video (wmv, avi, mpg, etc.)

- Play my old skool DOS games

- Enabling me to run Windoze applications within the X environment

- Creating data CDs, audio CDs, copying CDs, bootable CDs

- Bitorrent

- Watch DVD Movies

Bittorrent, yes, just install bittorrent. And a gui for it, I am assuming.

K3B does all CD/DVD burning and is included in your distro.

DVD Movies is also included in your distro, but you might have to dl libcssdvd (?) to play encrypted movies

DOS Games.. yeah, use a program called DOSBOX

Windows Programs - use wine.

All those other formats? When you install Mandriva, it will install several apps for you to do that too.

I think you need a book - I recommend the book by Marcel Gagne Moving to Linux. It was a great transition book, and answered many questions:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/032135640...5Fencoding=UTF8

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if I bumped this topic up, but I didn't mention that I also have a digital camera as well. My digital camera is a hp Photosmart 735 3.2MP digital camera and I was wondering will this particular camera work on Mandriva? Also, is there a program out there that I can download my pictures from the camera to my computer?

Sorry if I bumped this topic up, but I didn't mention that I also have a digital camera as well. My digital camera is a hp Photosmart 735 3.2MP digital camera and I was wondering will this particular camera work on Mandriva? Also, is there a program out there that I can download my pictures from the camera to my computer?

Yes, it's supported (at its default PtP mode) by several Linux apps. A good one is "DigiKam", which is both a camera manager and a photo album/organizer.

Look here:

http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

libgphoto2 is the backend for all those apps I mentioned.

If the camera also has a "usbstorage" option (which I think it hasn't), it would be even easier to handle- it would be treated like USB stick/harddrive.