Newbie question: building from source rpms...

doutor.zero

Hi,

I'm using Mandriva 2005 LE and now that version 2006 is out is difficult to find some updated packages, like K3b 0.12.8. So I'm thinking of getting a src rpm from cooker and compile it in Mandriva 2005 LE.

But i'm a newbie so I never did it... It's safe, how can I do it and it will work or there is the danger of break something?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english,

doutor.zero

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Thanks for your reply.

I'm already use MandrivaClub NL as my main repositorie but they appear to stop building packages for Mandriva 2005 (one exception is Azureus 2.3.0.6). The latest K3b version there is 0.12.4 so there is no other way besides compiling myself.

I get the source from K3b site but there is tons of dependencies so I decide to get the src.rpm from cooker and try it. I think doing this can work because using the .spec file will solve the dependencies problem and generate the rpm file. I'm only afraid that the src package in cooker don't work in 2005 (because it was created for version 2006)...

Thanks,

doutor.zero

It should work, although the only gain over compiling from source would be that it will inform you about missing dependencies right from the very start.

Mandrivaclub.nl has some good recent RPM's, but their repo is a bit of a mess- I have used it a couple of times, but the hdlist.cz index was WAY outdated.

Edited by scarecrow

Yeah, it works! And it was pretty good and easy because after download the src.rpm file I install it and urpmi warn me about the dependencies and download them. After that the only thing I did was create the binary rpm package with 'rpm -bb --clean --rmsource k3b.spec'.

Now the only thing left is burn some CD/DVD to test it.

Thanks,

doutor.zero