Cat /proc/acpi/fan is empty

Demo

I have installed free mandriva 2006 on my HP pavillion ze4125, and my cpu cooler work very fast without stop (and bottom of my laptop is hot). Acpi shows me 73 C cpu temperature. I have cheked ACPI modules - every module is loaded (ac, battery, fan, thermal, video etc). After that I have checked /proc/acpi/fan/ and found out it is empty. What does it mean:

- I dont have any fan recognized by linux

- I dont have any management for cpu fan installed

- Anything else?

How can I configur my fan control? Or what should I do to slow down my fan.

May be I need to configure trip_points, but I dont know how to do it.

Seems that the acpi on your notebook is not fully supported by mandriva at the moment, normally trip_points are configured already, sorry acpi is still a bit complicated on linux, it's an all-or-nothing game most of the time and getting it to work by hand can really be a painfull experience (be prepared to get some grey hair in the process :D )

maybe a BIOS-upgrade can help, since many ACPI-related problems are results of badly programmed BIOS-routines (in windows this is no problem because of specifically designed drivers, but linux needs a functioning ACPI-compliant BIOS)

Edited by lavaeolus

The thing is that I have alredy installed BIOS-upgrade and I did ACPI work on Mandrake 10.0 (my previous OS). Yes it was a pain in a ass but I did and I supposed that on mandriva 2006 the problem with ACPI is already solved. But what I have got - that in Mandriva 2006 this problem has much more serious decision and I cant do it by my self. No evolution only degradation.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried another linux-distribution (to see if it is mandrake/mandriva-specific problem or kernel-related) or another mandrake/mandriva-kernel ?

On my notebooks Suspend always only works with the i586-up1GB-kernels

Software suspend is already part of the mandriva-kernel, it was something in the different ways of memory-organization between the standard-kernel and the 1GB-kernel that caused my suspend-problems

Do you have broadband connection to the internet ? then you can download another linux if you want to test if acpi is working there (it could still be a kernel-related problem)

with kernel-versions changing between distributions, there is a chance that you can run into problems with a newer one, although your old version worked before

but back to your problem, when does this problem occur, is your fan running from startup, or does it begin after some time ?

in my /proc/acpi/fan there is just a file that shows the status of my fan (on or off)

I don't know if it helps but the acpi/cpu-related stuff I have installed is:

acpi

acpid

suspend-scripts

suspend-scripts-force (not necessary, since you can do those changes by hand)

cpufreq

cpufreqd

cpudyn

i586-up1GB-kernel (multimedia-kernel worked, too)

in this way acpi (I'm mainly interested in cpu-temperature-monitoring), dynamic cpu-frequency-scaling (helps to keep my system cooler than before) and suspend-to-disk work

I have investigated that my fan is turning off when the temperature is lower than 42C. When I have just turned on my laptop everything goes right the temperature from 56C (in a boot time) goes down to 42C (after booting) and the fan turns off its-self - everything is good. But when I start to work: FireFox, OpenOffice or whatever the temparature goes up to 50C with something and cpu cooler turns on, and after that even if I dont do anything (cpu is not loaded at all) nothing is in the memory, no software running the cpu temperature never goes down to 42C. It is about 44C or something around and fan never turns off, just becuz the "fan turn off temperature" is 42C. So the question is how can I change the fan shut down temperature from 42C. Or may be I can cool my cpu by some function/software. :wall:

Do you have broadband connection to the internet ? then you can download another linux if you want to test if acpi is working there (it could still be a kernel-related problem)

And I dont have a broadband Internet connection so I am not able to download any linux distr. This is the problem too, but not Linux problem. :D

I don't know if it helps but the acpi/cpu-related stuff I have installed is:

acpi

acpid

suspend-scripts

suspend-scripts-force (not necessary, since you can do those changes by hand)

cpufreq

cpufreqd

cpudyn

i586-up1GB-kernel (multimedia-kernel worked, too)

This may help me.

acpi - loaded

acpid - loaded

Let me check others modules.

And I have one more problem - My laptop wont turn off. It start the acpi-power-off script and freezes. What can i do? My laptop rebooting without any problems after I have corrected the lilo.conf. But shut down is a problem. :cry:

Thank you guys for your replys. I really appriciate your help. :thanks:

Edited by Demo

acpi-tool might help (its available as rpm for mandriva, don't know wether in main or contrib)

If you use kde maybe you've got the problem with kat (it uses cpu-power big time while indexing in the background)

maybe open your system-monitor or gkrellm and look wether something consumes cpu-power

my system normally runs between 35 to max. 55 ° (depending on what I do), my fan starts at 75 °, so I never have it running (that's the nice thing about that heat-pipe-cooler in my notebook, just keeps the system cool)

for the shutdown problem I have no idea at the moment, sorry

Edited by lavaeolus

I have installed cpufreqdand it became worse, the cpu temperature never goes less than 53C (by compare before it was 44-45C). I thought may be the problem is in config, so can you lavaeolus post here the etc/cpufreqd.conf file, because I have tried to configure it by myself but no luck.

Cpudyn - I didnt find this module/service and rpm with this name. What is it? What is it responsible for?

suspend-scripts

suspend-scripts-force

I dont know how to check are they running/loaded or not?

Edited by Demo

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for answering so late, but I was away some time

cpufreq-config: I use the config-file as it was installed by the rpm (sorry, can't get my hands on it at the moment, maybe I can post it later)

cpudyn: This program control the speed in Intel SpeedStep, Pentium 4 Mobile and PowerPC machines with the cpufreq compiled in the kernel.

It allows to reduce cpu speed in order to save battery and reduce temperature of the processor. It can also put the drive on standby mode.

Tested with 2.4, Pentium 3 Speedstep Laptop (Dell Latitude), Pentium 4 Mobile Laptop (Dell Inspiron), AMD Power Now, Apple iBook, IBM Thinkpad. cpudyn is just a user space program, so it will work on every processor supported by the kernel's cpufreq driver.

that's rpmdrakes package description,

cpudyn scales your cpu-frequency down if your machine has nothing to do and scales it up when it needs the performance, I can see this very nice with the cpufreq-applet under gnome which shows my actual cpu-frequency

cpudyn is a rpm for mandriva 2006, actual version is: cpudyn-1.0.1-1mdk, it should be located in the contrib-section

if cpudyn is installed, you will get an aditional service in the service-section in mcc

suspend-scripts should be installed automatically if you have acpi installed, suspend-scripts-force are in the contrib-section, you don't need the latter, but it is more comfortable, since it activates the suspend-functions (can be done by hand too)

the suspend-scripts don't show up as services (they are just scripts), but if they are installed you will see an entry for the S4-suspend-command (suspend-to-disk) in the start-menu of gnome