For a good laugh, read ZDNet

Ixthusdan

Just to add a counter-point I must admit that Outlook is one of the tools produced by MS that I genuinely like, it is used throughout the company I work for (a relatively large one) to great effect, not just the email but group calendar, directory, tasks and even (although to a lesser extent) the Journal. They are used at all levels of the company (and I will admit a few do not use it properly).

But it is a good application, it works and provides a good range of useful functionality.

The article however, is bollocks.

Leo

Just to add a counter-point I must admit that Outlook is one of the tools produced by MS that I genuinely like, it is used throughout the company I work for (a relatively large one) to great effect, not just the email but group calendar, directory, tasks and even (although to a lesser extent) the Journal. They are used at all levels of the company (and I will admit a few do not use it properly).

But it is a good application, it works and provides a good range of useful functionality.

The article however, is bollocks.

Well the biggest bollocks is the "Outlook is an eMail client therefore an eMail client should connect to Exchange and do scheduling and groupware".

Im interested in who actually uses the scheduling etc. in your company. How many employees (if you don't mind me asking..)

(This is for my new busineses doing linuxmigrations for small companies. )

Im interested in who actually uses the scheduling etc. in your company.  How many employees (if you don't mind me asking..) 

(This is for my new busineses doing linuxmigrations for small companies.  )

I've used Outlook/Exchange and Lotus Notes/Domino. Never used the scheduling much, maybe the odd time I'm lucky enough to have an appointment with someone who resided on our directory! :P

Most of my appointments were with clients who didn't reside on our Exchange/Domino server.

[...]The article however, is bollocks.

Well the biggest bollocks is the "Outlook is an eMail client therefore an eMail client should connect to Exchange and do scheduling and groupware".

Yes, an eMail client by definition does just eMail, however the extras add to it's appeal (providing they are useful and work)

Im interested in who actually uses the scheduling etc. in your company.  How many employees (if you don't mind me asking..) 

(This is for my new busineses doing linuxmigrations for small companies.  )

There are over 5000 employees in the company and everyone uses the scheduling tool for meetings (it is the only way to book meeting rooms) it's use for tasks and other calender events is widespread but not complete. The take up is not defined by seniority or role but more personality.

Leo

There are over 5000 employees in the company and everyone uses the scheduling tool for meetings (it is the only way to book meeting rooms) it's use for tasks and other calender events is widespread but not complete. The take up is not defined by seniority or role but more personality.

Leo

Thx... that's interesting. It was actually the same in my company but the bosses just make their secretary book the room .. and they ended up being the only ones using it.

Im trying to determine what level/size of company actually uses Exchange and firther how many of them really use it (or Notes) fully.

[...] It was actually the same in my company but the bosses just make their secretary book the room .. and they ended up being the only ones using it. 

Im trying to determine what level/size of company actually uses Exchange and firther how many of them really use it (or Notes) fully.

There is a certain section that get their PA to do all the bookings however they would get their PA to do bookings regardless of the means by which it were completed.

My guess, based on observation, would be that it does not really matter what the solution is, if it is fully featured it is very rarely used to it's full potential however it doesn't stop people wanting it. I suppose that in terms of drumming up sales and convincing people to switch it is worthwhile exploring exactly what is needed and used opposed to what is 'wanted'

Leo

Top of my head you cold try Microsofts website and see if they have a 'what product is best for you' type tool. If you put in various parameters you could see who they reccomend exchange to, I would think it is fairly well targetted.

Leo

Microsoft advocates everybody using Outlook with Exchange. Their small business server installs it by default. You must shut it down in order to get it to function as a normal firewall/file server. Otherwise, it wants to hold an ip on the net. I tried to get Exchange to comminucate as a secondary server with a primary server from the isp, but it added itself to the headers (of course) and various spam filters would not allow it to pass since it was an unregistered server. So it was working with many other people, but not larger organizations like USSteel. The company was around 50 people with 18 workstations, 2 of them off-site. vpn worked great. They wanted to share a contact database along with contact frequency. E-mail was routed to the appropriate employee.

Just as an aside this article from Computer Weekly looks as though it may have used the same survey as the zdnet article however it makes no mention of eMail clients.

Leo

Yep...

Im currently trying to work out what size of company starts using exchange? Any ideas where to look?

I've known people to use Exchange, even for just 50 users! One company I worked for was about 200 users.

I don't think the company needs to be a certain size. It's just the requirement for a Mail Server, and it seems a lot of IT people out there, or Consultants who operate on the clients' behalf, mostly put Exchange in.