Printing PDF files on Mandrake 10.1

camorri

I can not print a PDF file on my Lexmark 4039 10R printer under Madrake 10.1. I can print the same file on the same printer under my Mandrake 9.2 installation. ie. this is not a hardware issue. I can print test page and can print from other applications on 10.1. I thought it may have something to do with the driver I was using. on 10.1. I now have the same driver on both 9.2 and 10.1, 10.1 still fails.

The driver I'm using is HP LaserJet Series Cups V1.1 on both 9.2 and 10.1. Here is the text of the error I get on 10.1.

The MIME type application/postscript is not supported as input of the filter chain (this may happen with non-CUPS spoolers when performing page selection on a non-PostScript file). Do you want KDE to convert the file to a supported format?

I get a list of converters, none of which work. I have been booting to 9.2 to print the PDF's but that is a pain. I saw some other posts suggesting converting the PDF to PS format with pdf2ps. I think either something is not configured correctly or more likley I am missing something needed to print PDF files.

Your thoughts on how to fix this?

Instead of using some converter to print to PS from the PDF file, you can just print to file directly, it will be PS.

Also, you could try kpdf or xpdf instead of acrobat, or the other way around.

That is, assuming you can print at all, and just have trouble with PDF files...

Sounds like you have a KDE or ghostcript installation problem. Did you try printing the same file using Gnome? Is the version of ghostscript the same on both boxes? MDK10.1 ships with a newer version of ghostscript. What application dou use to create PDFs? Maybe, setting different PDF compatibility levels can resolve the problem?