devfs_mk_dev: could not append to

michaelcole

I remember something about this before, and I think it has something to do with the APIC.

I don't know CLI way to change it, but go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer. Choose the Boot option, and then Setup How System Boots.

Select Force No APIC and reboot and see if you still get the errors. If not, then go back to this screen and select Force No Local APIC, reboot and see if that does it for you?

After choosing each option, click Next, and Finish so that the boot loader is updated.

APIC=Off

Did not work.. this is in the lilo.conf file..

I rather edit this file manually therefore i know where it breaks as i have destroyed a system before by letting a configurator do it for me..

ran lilo after saving the file..(Always make a viewable change to prove it did happen..)

Any particular reason for using Cooker? I'm using stable release of 2006 Free with no problems.

I'm trying a google now on the error to see if I can find anything. Will post if I do.

Are you using devfs? Or udev?

Check which one is installed. All Mandrake versions from 10.1 onwards have been using udev. 10.0 used to use devfsd, and when I upgraded, I had to install udev, then remove devfsd for some errors I was getting.

Worth checking just in case, else I'm out of ideas. Maybe someone else will be able to suggest, but such things are expected with Cooker, since it's not a stable release.

I know i have the Udev as it wants to be upgraded at times. and i cannot find right now but i will look harder for the Devfs package..

Why am i using cooker.. Because they have the more advanced KDE3.5 and other things are more up to date and i would like to give feedback on bugs i do find.. And i am planning for the next roll out in the office if i test now then in 3 Months time i will know all the ins and outs of the newer version..

And this Bug? has had me stumped for quite some time..

The KDE3.5 is really cool, they have really excelled again at getting KDE futher along the path to full acceptance with the wider public..

All I have ever done is upgrade from 9.0 all the way to where i am now and never a clean install.. (Not on this computer at least..)

I realize this may have caused this in the long term but someone else must have seen it.. and actually come up with a fix.. as I do see it on other sites i googled to and saw the error but never a fix..

Cooker currently uses kernel 2.6.12.X, where you can *still* use devfs- on 2.6.13+ devfs is gone, completely replaced by udev.

What you have to do is:

1. Modify your /etc/fstab so all entries in there are udev compliant (and after that of course run /sbin/lilo if you still use that thing instead of grub).

2. Change your current initscripts with their new version (new versions are stored into /etc as well without replacing the current ones, if you have modded some of the old ones by hand you must do the same to the new ones and then rename, replacing the old ones).

3. Disable/uninstall devfs completely.

4. Reboot and pray you didn't miss something.

All that easier said than done- the Madriva initscripts are very complex, compared to Arch, Slackware or even Debian. And of course Mandriva isnt made to be bleeding edge- Cooker must be the most buggy bleeding edge flavour I've ever met.

When I upgraded 10.0 Official to LE2005, I had the devfs issue, as 10.0 uses devfs.

My method of removing was to first make sure I had the LE2005 kernel installed, since I used urpmi to upgrade. Then after this, I made sure udev was install.

After that, I just ran "urpme devfsd"

I didn't have to change anything else at all, so could have just been pure luck, but it worked for me :P

Maybe this'll work for you just in case cooker is using devfsd still.

Ok found it i think..

I spent hours looking at all my files in the /etc/ directory..

Learnt alot..

I had installed a package a long time ago and it added modules into the modprobe.preload

These devices do not exist so i # them out and the problem has gone..

The Devfs comes with the Kernel.. So uninstalling it is not a possiblity without replacing the kernel.. (I like the one i have..)

2.6.12-12mdk-i586-up-1GB

So thanks for the ideas.. It was just me.. that caused it..

This is why sometimes a clean install will help.. If we all remember back to when we ran windows we used to have clean install every 6 Months to a year..

Myself running the SAME Archlinux installation since July, 2004, with very few reboots since then (= only when I install a new kernel, or change something very important in /etc/rc.conf), and without any unmanageable issues. And Arch is not "Debian Stable", but rather a bleeding edge distro, where sevral dozens of megabytes are offered every week as updates!

I can't imagine how this would be possible on a Windows desktop (although to be fair I do run a Windows XP server, which I have to reboot only when the Avast! Home Edition antivirus utility updates the program modules, plus when installing some critical Windows updates).

Edited by scarecrow