DVDs on my smartphone

phunni

I want to try and rip my DVDs to a format that means I can play them on my MS smartphone. I've been told that divx can do this and I notice that there's a version for Linux, but does anyone know if it's ableto reduce the picture size down enough? The smaller the image then the smaller the file size, I believe.

It needs to be able to convert to a format that can be read on a windows smartphone. Media Player is installed, but I could probably get hold of another one if required...

Suggestions please!

• 2 weeks later...

OK - last night I used dvd::rip to rip about an hour of video from a DVD and encode it to Xvid at 220x176 ( the appropriate size for my phone).

I encountered a few problems:

1) The initial file that dvd::rip rips to is enourmous. An hour of vidoe takes over a gig of disk space. Surely this isn't necessary, but I can't see a way of getting it smaller...

2) The ripped & encoded file is also huge - 160 MB. A colleague of mine had a full feature film on his Pocket PC and it was 160MB. It's split into 2 files of 80MB. My file is encoded to a smaller size (220x176) so it should be smaller, plus it's only an hour so it must be possible to get good quality at around 80MB - so what am I doing wrong...?

3) The audio is very, very slightly out of sync with the video. Not much, but enough to be annoying...

Perhaps I should rip and encode to a larger resolution and then encode for my phone - but the files are already huge - I'm not sure I've actually got enough hard disc space...

Can anyone share any wisdom? Is there something I can tweak? Should I be using different software for any of these steps?

I have reduced the audio bitrates. I've also tried reducing the framerate slightly - which seems to actually increase the file size in transcode.

I may actually be forced to do this in windows as I simply can't get the files to a reasonable enough size in linux.

Although I haven't quite given up yet...

Edited by phunni