Mandriva is still free

lavaeolus

I did not talk about the Mandriva crap-idea of including a cvs-x.org, this was discussed elsewhere, and I already made my point clear in this posts, so I don't see the need to post it again, I talked about ati and nvidia making such a secret about their drivers and not releasing the specs about their cards (at least those that a programmer would need, to build a decent driver), so still blame nvidia and ati.

I don't see the problem with OpenOffice2 since you can obtain it directly from OOo (they use rpms now), hey I think I mentoined that already

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This.....

I did not talk about the Mandriva crap-idea of including a cvs-x.org, this was discussed elsewhere, and I already made my point clear in this posts, so I don't see the need to post it again,

and this:

I talked about ati and nvidia making such a secret about their drivers and not releasing the specs about their cards (at least those that a programmer would need, to build a decent driver), so still blame nvidia and ati.

go hand in hand, thus it is totally relevent! The reason that the nvidia and ati opensource drivers are broken is because that version of X is broken, it a CVS snapshot, unstable!!!! I am struggling to understand why you cannot see the causal link here, it's blatantly clear to see!

And there is a good reason why ati and nvidia proprietary drivers are closed source, it's simple, their cards are commerial products, ones that reap them heay profits which can be reinvested in new technology, giving Joe Bloggs improved graphics over a period of time. Things like these have to harboured and kept closed, as it is a big money business and a lot at stake by opening up to th extent you believe they should. Fair enough opensource software works mainly due to the internet, the fact that the code is available to everyone, the costs are borne over the world by many individuals. Whereas hardware the costs are usually borne by one company per product line/range where the need to make money to survive! Nvidia and ati compromise by providing Linux users with drivers for free!

Tell me, what do you really want, open soure drivers when the card makers give you adequate closed source drivers that work. Or to kill the hardware manufacturers, flood the market with poor substitutes, but they all use an opensource driver!

Don't get me wrong, I love Linux and open source, it's been a breath of fresh air for me, and stil is. But opensource has it's limits, just like everthing else. Something you seem to be struggling to understand!

If the whole world was open, it would be no fun, honest, think about it!

I don't see the problem with OpenOffice2 since you can obtain it directly from OOo (they use rpms now), hey I think I mentoined that already

Why yes of course, but then again some take comfort in the fact that they will get some form of support, little as it may be, with a downstream package, more so than an upstream tarball!!!

I don't have any problems with 2006 and Xorg, it's very stable for me.

The problem I initially noted of having the "Euphoria" screensaver appear in the top third of the screen, happens on my Gentoo system as well which is using Xorg 6.8.2.

However, when I first installed KDE it didn't happen. As soon as I installed Gnome, it started to occur. Which means my initial diagnosis that Xorg was causing it was wrong. It was too easy to blame Xorg CVS since I had no idea, as it worked OK with LE2005.

I'm using a combination of Intel and NVidia cards too. I only see the Euphoria problem on my machine with the Intel cards. It doesn't happen on the NVidia one. I removed the bundled NVidia, and installed the ones from NVidia's website though, since the ones included with 2006 were pants.

I'm using a combination of Intel and NVidia cards too.  I only see the Euphoria problem on my machine with the Intel cards.  It doesn't happen on the NVidia one.  I removed the bundled NVidia, and installed the ones from NVidia's website though, since the ones included with 2006 were pants.

Plus the one in the powerpack are seriously out of date, yet no sign of an update to the package :unsure:

The one I found in Powerpack was 7170, which was same version as I'd downloaded from NVidia direct.

However, for some reason, it's borked on Powerpack, but if you remove the dkms-nvidia or whatever it's called, and just use the NVidia ones, it works a treat :P

ok, so if you don't have a prolem with ati and nvidia trying to earn some money, I don't know why you seem to have a problem with mandriva trying to earn some money, too

btw the OOo-tarball contains some easily installable rpms (there is even an Installation guide in there)

I get around 5,500 fps with an el-crapola FX5200/ 128M DDR videocard (I knew it's rubbish right before buying it, to be honest I bought it just because the GPU did not need a cooling fan to keep its temper! :P ), so I guess Ian's 4000+ fps with the vastly superior TI4400/128M isn't a very good mark...

Edited by scarecrow

I might have to try the later driver then. As it happens, my card is probably a bit of a hybrid. When I bought it, it was boxed as a Creative Labs!

But definitely running an nvidia chip.

ok, so if you don't have a prolem with ati and nvidia trying to earn some money, I don't know why you seem to have a problem with mandriva trying to earn some money, too

Mandriva acts as a packager, with some of their own programs thrown in for good measure. The problem is not with originators of say X.org, as the stuff that Mandriva used, they had marked as development, but Mandriva decided to package it in a final product, something where the items you are dependent on (to a great extent) should be stable, not a development version. If we wanted something unstable/in development, we would use cooker, right? And we wouldn't expect to pay for it either!