ipw2100 dilemma [solved]

JonEberger

hi everyone. me again asking yet another wireless network question.

so the card i have in a laptop is an intel pro wireless 2100. doing an "lscpi" tells me that it's actually the 3b revision. mandriva comes with the ipw2100 driver but for some reason cannot activate the card. (perhaps this should've been a first tip of difficulties.) so after spending some amount of time with it (being recognized as eth1, but not activating the card), i give up and decide to use the ndiswrapper.

so i go and get the proper windows driver (verified by intel and actually used by others on linux-laptop to make their nic work) and give the old "ndiswrapper -i driver name'. ndiswrapper was urpmi'd and so no compilation was needed. i then give 'ndiswrapper -l' and see that the proper drivers are loaded and the hardware is recognized and functioning. i modprobe ndiswrapper, add the appropriate alias to modprobe.conf and in modprobe.preload add an ndiswrapper command. further i go and allow the aliased nic to get through the firewall and then create the ifcfg-wlan0 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

when i pipe dmesg to grep and look for ndiswrapper i get no warnings. the irqs are assigned and i know that ndiswrapper uses the appropriate drivers. everything seems to be fine. all the wireless-tools are installed btw. when i give the 'iwlist wlan0 scan' command i can see every wireless network around me. (at this point i thought i was in total business.) but i cannot obtain an ip address from any router. i've totally unsecured routers and cannot pull the ip. i set the essid and the channel, but on either an "ifup wlan0' command or 'dhclient wlan0' command, the nic will not obtain that address. i know the nic sends the request.

what am i overlooking? i always need all the help i can get. anyone?

more information.

here are the results of "dmesg | grep ndiswrapper'

ndiswrapper version 1.0 loaded (preempt=no, smp=no)
ndiswrapper:  driver w70n51 (Intel, 07/31/2003, 1.2.0.58) added
ndiswrapper:  using irq 5
wlan0:  ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:04:23:4b:5c:94 driver using w70n51

'lspci' gives

02:03.0  Network controller:  Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter (rev 04)

'ndiswrapper -l' gives

Installed ndis drivers:
w70n51    driver present, hardware present

hey guys. thanks for the comments. i got an easy fix on accident. i was sitting around running 2005 LE and figured, well, i've been wanting to get 2006 and give it a shot. if i've got issues, i'll have them there anyways

and so i'll be troubleshooting there. so i got the images and did a net install. from there, the card worked both with ndiswrapper and then when i got the ipw2100 drivers/firmware, it worked with those too.

that's a really sucky fix, but it's still a fix. thanks for the comments y'all.