upgrade 10 to 2006

Guest rrr

I did an upgrade from Mandrake 10.0 official using the 3 cd free Mandriva 2006 version created from iso's.

This went without much hassle or input other than switching cd's...

During boot however I get the following failures:

1/ Enabling swap space: swapon /dev/hda6: device or resource busy

2/ Applying iptables firewall rules: iptables-restore v1.3.3: iptables-restore: line 1 table name invalid

Error occurred at line: 1

3/ Guess shorewall doesn't start up because of 2/ as well.

Any ideas -> much appreciated!

To be short on an already much discussed story: forget it.

10.0 used devfs, while 2006 uses udev, and the transition from a devfs system to an udev one needs quite a lot of Linux experience, as well as a bit of luck at some weird guesses when you will need to define your udev rules (practically no old device will fit on your new system).

Backup whatever data is critical for you and install 2006 from scratch is the best advice I can give you.

I'm having the same problems you have. I also upgrade from Mandrake 10.0 to Mandriva 2006 but I went with the ftp server download instead of burning the CD's.

I have this link http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/installmdv2006.html#hard send to me by another linux user and it explain step by step with pictures how to do a clean install. I haven't tried myself yet, but I'm going to as soon as I get home. I hope it helps you.

Jose

thanks both for your feedback.

Think the iptables problem was caused by something webmin added in /ect/sysconfig/iptables concerning logging, which 2006 didn't like.

So I did a clean install which was a breeze. By the way, now /ect/sysconfig/iptables doesn't exist anymore, is this normal?

The system is kind of an allround experimental box with 2 NICs; intranet server, squid proxy, samba, shorewall etc.. and everything is up and running fine.

One problem though related to the 2 NIC setup: is there a way to get for example eth1 started before eth0 ? I don't have internet connection if the default gateway for eth0 comes first in the route table. (there's an internet connection possible via both interfaces but via eth0 it needs to be authenticated and I want to run all internet access via eth1 and squid.) For all local eth0 traffic I have static routes.

You could go into MCC, and HardDrake, and then reconfigure the network cards.

That way, you could tell eth0 to use the card eth1 is using at present, and vice-versa, so you'd have eth1 now loading as eth0 instead.

So I did a clean install which was a breeze. By the way, now /ect/sysconfig/iptables doesn't exist anymore, is this normal?

The firewall, shorewall, is not installed by default IIRC. If you go into mcc>Security and click on the setup personal firewall icon, you will be prompted for the install cd(s) and shorewall will be installed. Either that or run:

# urpmi shorewall