Mandrake and broadband

finlay

I suppose this is a UK question. Can anyone recommend an ISP to set up a broadband connection for my Mandrake box? To put it another way, has anyone any experience of Tiscali or Freeserve in this regard? The reason I ask is that my present ISP (Tiscali) says their system works with all flavours of Windows but not with Mac. OTOH they once told me their narrowband system wouldn't work with Linux - as far as they knew. Little did they know! (It even worked with Libertysurf which depended on ads being embedded in IE. I used Linux and Konqueror - no ads :-)

Finlay

Not sure why any ISP wouldn't work. TCP/IP is TCP/IP is TCP/IP. The only time I could see it now working with anything but Windows is if you have to install some silly software of thiers to get connected. But even those ISPs the default ppoe clients in linux and windows seem to work.

hi

you could try looking at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ to help you deside on which isp to use, the only isp you may have problems with is AOL, though there is some softwere around so you can connect to them.

most if not all ADSL connections will work with MDK9, though it is unlikley you will get any support form the isp if you say you are runnig Linux.

the only thing that may cause you problems is the ADSL Modem/router, check to ensure what ever you buy is supported for use with linux.

I have used BT openworld, demon, pipex on a linux box with out any problems. though i would highley recomend Eclipse internet - http://www.eclipse.net.uk/

all the best

C

Many thanks copex. I had a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and I see that Tiscali are up among this month's leaders. So since I already use them that's the way I'll probably go. Now, just to show how uninformed I am :-) - at the moment I use kppp to connect. With ADSL would I continue to use kppp and would Tiscali have to provide me with DNS numbers? ( At the moment I don't have to provide kppp with any DNS numbers, though formerly I dd). Or is this all tosh and I have to configure all sorts of stuff?

Finlay

Many thanks copex.  I had a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/  and I see that Tiscali are up among this month's leaders.  So since I already use them that's the way I'll probably go.  Now, just to show how uninformed I am :-) - at the moment I use kppp to connect.  With ADSL would I continue to use kppp  and would Tiscali have to provide me with DNS numbers? ( At the moment I don't have to provide kppp with any DNS numbers, though formerly I dd).  Or is this all tosh and I have to configure all sorts of stuff? 

Finlay

I don't know the ISP but you don't necesarily have to set DNS or IP numbers for that matter, I set my 10. ip from my ISP on my firewall, my buddy on the same ISP doesn't set anything as it's all done by DHCP/PPOE, and my dad in Alberta just sets his username/password and he gets it through DHCP also. They all just used the Networking component in the MCC to set it up to get the IP through DHCP.

Not sure why any ISP wouldn't work. TCP/IP is TCP/IP is TCP/IP.  The only time I could see it now working with anything but Windows is if you have to install some silly software of thiers to get connected. But even those ISPs the default ppoe clients in linux and windows seem to work.

I'm glad to see someone else thinking the same way I do.

I thought perhaps you guys outside of New Zealand must use some weird kind of broadband :?: :roll:

I have a 2mb wireless connection, I was given 2 ip numbers, gateway address, network and broadcast address, and its all pretty noraml TCP/IP networking.

You can do some tricky stuff, but for an ADSL connection its really not neccessary.

as Ronin has mentioned, you can run a firewall, that MASQ's your non-routeable private network (example: firewall IP 202.x.x.x, Private Network 192.168.x.x) but it really depends on how many computers you want to share the internet with.

The Number  one broadband supplier in the UK is Telewest. Works with any distro.http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/

Telewest are great untill you have to ring support, where your meet with

"what version of windows are you using",

"im not using windows im using linux",

"ok goto start run type winipcfg",

"errr [sarcasum] it says bash : winipcfg not found"

"you must have typed it wrong"

and on we went

Telewest are great untill you have to ring support' date=' where your meet with

"what version of windows are you using",

"im not using windows im using linux",  

"ok goto start run type winipcfg",

"errr [sarcasum'] it says bash : winipcfg not found"

"you must have typed it wrong"  

and on we went

LOL, you actually called the helpdesk at an ISP for help when you run Linux? tsk, tsk, tsk Never do that unless you feel the urge to confuse the person on the phone or need a headache. Very few offically support anything other then windows. And if the add says works with any OS then mean any windows OS.

hi

ppoe is the type of connection used by most ADSL.

When i setup adsl on my mdk box all i had to do was copy a file from alcatels web page as the modem i have requres it, then i used the internet connection program to create a new connection. and it worked.

with ADSL you set the connection up as you would a dial up connection, you dont need a phone number, so just enter anything ( i used theer tech support number, so it to hand if i nead it)

c

There was a good how-to section by Steve Scrimpshire in the tips section. (Thats how I got mine working) But I think the big questions is not what ISP will work but what modem will work.

As long as you have your account name, password and a 'dial-up' number you can configure the rest.