Arabic support in Mdv2006?

Ishark

Hello,

I'd like to know if people have success in using Mandriva 2006 with arabic languages. It was woking fine on 2005LE, but after I upgraded the arabic text in the web browsers is broken: the characters are not joined anymore and are all written as if they were alone and not part of a word. I've tried firefox, galeon and konqueror, all with same result. Playing with the View->Encoding menu does not change anything.

I've not messed with any config file related to locales, and I have locales-ar as well as all the arabic fonts installed. Any idea of what was messed up during the upgrade? Just in case, I checked all the .rpmnew or .rpmsave files in /etc, but there was nothing related to language.

TIA

• 2 months later...
Guest Ashraf_Sabry_M

I'm running mandriva 2006 on a pentium processor,

My problem is with the arabic language support,

I've added the arabic keyboard layout, and installed many arabic fonts, but when I switch to the arabic keyboard, I find my writings distorted, also when I open my arabic text files I get them distorted. gnome applications and the openoffice write in arabic the letters are disconnected.

In windows there were a tool (regional settings in the control panel) to add or remove character encodings, which solve this problem in windows, is there an equivalent tool in mandriva?

• 1 month later...
Try skim: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=14597 (the kde version of scim)

Install with: urpmi skim

Well, Skim is great but the problem with skim (The scim for KDE) is that they conflicts with some of the commercial softwares like Realplayer, Adobe Reader, Opera, Skype and .... If you are not going to use any of those, very well. However I think still the best application for using differnt input methods is scim.