/home/dvd.iso == /dev/dvd

Hello,

is there any way to mount a dvd .iso image or a unpacked dvd image onto /dev/dvd ?

The problem I'm facing is that I don't have a dvd burner, so I want to compress the dvd to xvid,

I can do that (with the Linux software available), but I can only xvid separate .vob files, whereas I'd like to rip the whole film. And when I want to join together the separately encoded (xvid) .vob files Avidemux does an unclean stitch with sound distortion (known bug for me).

But I could encode the whole film into one xvid file if I make Mandriva believe that I have a real dvd mounted on /dev/dvd ,then the ripping software would understand it as such and my problem would be soved.

Thanks!

My dear friend, that is exactly what that command above does.

It appears that the problem is that I need to fake a DVD ROM and a mounted dvd.

The mounting part is clear, the making of a fake dvd rom block device is not.

Edited by solarian

Is there any possibilty to create virtual block devices, like virtual cd drives in windows

seems I found something:

http://www.timfanelli.com/tags/linux

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1387/

Edited by lavaeolus

Did you run your ripper,Avidemux, as root? You will have to do that to access /dev/loop0 IIRC. I just tried mounting a dvd iso with loop and using dvdshrink on it, designating /dev/loop0 as the read device and it worked as root but gave an error message as an ordinary user.

Edit: You may want to take a look at dvdshrink for your project. It will access /dev/loop0 as root and rip the dvd. In the process it creates a single mpeg of the entire dvd. Just be sure to save your working files. You could probably use that mpeg in avidemux.

Edited by pmpatrick